London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
20/05/2009 at 12:05
Has anyone had any experience of raisng hostas from seed? What are the chances of the seedlings coming true if you save your own seed and is cross-breeding them difficult?
09/06/2009 at 16:05
I had a hosta self set seedling which I dug up and put in a small pot over winter it sprouted up this year and it looks just like one of my giant ones, this is the first one that I've ever noticed so you can bet now I've said that they will start sprouting up all over. All my hostas are fantastic this year I've used copper tape for the first time but garlic spray (1 crushed garlic bulb boiled for 20mins strained top up to 1 litre of water)spray on to leaves and pots works good and half grapefruit skins works even better, these can be put around veg beds as well.
13/06/2009 at 00:24
Help! Something is cutting the leaves off my Hosta. It's a clean cut just above the base. I can't find the culprit. No insects that I can find. I'll see a few leaves that have been cut off and when I check again after several hours, there's another one off the plant. Should I use some sort of insecticide and if so, which is recommended? Thanks!
14/06/2009 at 10:17
Hi I am a beginner when it comes to gardening, so I thought hostas would be great as a starter. I have had it for 4 years in the ground and each year I got excited when the shoots start to appear, sadly this year nothing, can anyone tell me what's that all about. Thanks
29/06/2009 at 13:12
loobee it was a very freezing cold and wet at times, winter here, maybe your hosta as rotted off, although I have some in the ground the ones that do the best are the ones in the pots.Don't give up, you can get hostas very cheap at some places so buy some more and try again, its worth it.
30/01/2010 at 18:50
I WAS ABOUT TO GIVE UP WITH GROWING PLANTS IN CONTAINERS THANKS TO SLUGS AND SNAILS, PUPPY'S TAILS ARE WELL BEHAVED THOUGH, UNTIL............. I WAS BORED AT WORK AND READ THE FRONT OF A CAN OF WD40 WHICH SAID HELPS PREVENT SLUG DAMAGE, DIDN'T BELIEVE IT, BUT GUESS WHAT IT'S NOT ONLY RONSEAL WHICH DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE CAN I SAVE A FORTUNE EACH YEAR BY USING WD40 AND FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS I'VE HAD AMAZING LOOKING HOSTAS IN SHORT WD40 IS A MIRACLE IT REALLY DOES WORK
23/04/2010 at 12:54
Hi all, Could someone tell me if I am too late to divide my Hosta which is in a large pot. Last year it filled the pot and I read that the spring was the best time to divide them, but today, 23/04/10, I read that late summer early autumn is the best time. This is the first Hosta that I have ever grown and not sure what to do, I would really like your help please. Thanks in advance. Mag
26/04/2010 at 12:29
Reply to Mag: No, I think you still have time to divide your hosta. I am about to divide some of mine, too. The main thing to note is that the more growth has developed the more likely it is that this could be damaged when dividing the clump, so work slowly and carefully.
26/05/2010 at 13:07
Reply to MagRose13: I move plants all the time except when in flower and have just moved and split a hosta (yesterday) which looks as though it has already settled down, opened out and looks even better than it did before. I find they are very robust and seem to thrive even more when split up. I try everything once and have often found the 'rules' do not apply. Last year I moved a large bed of camellias, and rhododendrons, some of which had to have their roots severly chopped in order to remove them. I was amazed that we didn't lose a single one and they flowered better than they had done for years. We have just moved a large smoke bush and had to chop the roots also and it has continued to leaf up and is doing remarkably well. Anything is worth a try rather than throwing out a plant which has outgrown its space. Most are much more forgiving than we give them credit for.
28/10/2010 at 13:21
Am I too late to repot my favourite hosta which really is too tightly packed. it is now the end of October, but I could protect the pot and contents from extreme cold if needed.
01/11/2010 at 12:37
Reply to Marjorie – I'd wait until spring to repot. Wait until conditions warm-up a little and new shoots are just starting to develop. This will probably be around late March or April. Either repot into a larger pot or divide large clumps into several smaller pieces, and repot the young outer portions separately.
25/07/2011 at 16:22
recipe for garlic spray:- 1] 1 garlic bulb. I skinned the cloves and then crushed them. 2] boil in a pint of water for about 5 minutes. 3] strain 4] keep in fridge until ready to use 5] dilute 1 tablespoonful in 1 gallon of water
28/11/2011 at 18:38
I have a number of hostas in pots and each year I seem to miss the re-potting window. Actually I dread the thought of re-potting them as the pots are rounded and they will be almost impossible to get out. I have noticed this year that a couple of them have already been badly nibbled. I have tried the dreaded slug pellets to no avail and a couple of weeks ago I watered them with nematodes. I think the problem must be snails climbing up the nearby wall and getting onto a leaf close to the wall so I have decided that tomorrow I will move them away from the wall and apply a band of 'Deep Heat' around the top of each pot which is said to have a similar effect to copper bands but is cheaper. I will have to give it a go and see what happens, only time will tell! Wish me luck.
email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages