Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Plant support

If you wrap some plastic around the end of the birch sticks before pushing them into the soil it will prevent them from rotting.

• Hazel branches are great. The squirrels in my garden are forever leaving nuts to sprout and provide me with new bushes. If I didn't coppice them I would have no garden - only a hazel grove.
  • I bought plastic coated plant supports from B@M store in Kilmarnock for £1.00 each. Great buy and for the first time have remembered to put them in before my plants start falling over. Hope to get a better display this summer.
  • i totally forgot high winds last week and my favorite delphinuim lost all the shoots but hey i got 5 more in my garden
  • If you're desperate for upright plants then: Pea and bean netting laid down in two layers, the first one March attached to canes about 15 cm high and the second one in April/May about 30cm (where needed) for the plants to grow through: it's soon hidden.

For my mind, why not just let them flop? I appreciate that rules out those with unnaturally large flowers and brittle stems, but if you're growing something like that, hiding staking doesn't help as it will look unnatural anyway.
  • 6 mm steel rod from a steel stockholder is great for making cheap supports
  • For my floppy oriental poppies I now use either hazel or dogwood prunings - they disappear completely and do a great job. I think they work so well because all the leaves hide them - I don't know if they'd be so great for delphiniums.
  • Can anyone tell me how to obtain by mail order the fuschia Hula Girl? Thank you.
  • Walton Nurseries (www.waltonnurseries.co.uk)sell Hula Girl fuchsias by mail order. I found it on Google.
  • why not just cut the sticks shorter ?
  • What has happened to Gardeners World? This is supposed to be the BBC's premier Gardening programme. Tonight we were treated to children sowing seeds, a ridiculous shelf making project and a feature about Garden Gnomes. It's a bit late for an April Fool, but this is certainly what it felt like. Utter twaddle aimed at people who nothing but a cursory interest in gardens. Bring back Monty Don or some people capable of showing some passion for plants and gardens. The advice dispensed was aimed at complete morons and the new garden at GreenAcre looks a bit like the space out the back of a DIY garden shed. Please please please stop this nonsense and get back to something more well informed and useful.