London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
16 messages
30/05/2009 at 16:35
We favour tunnels of canes for our runner and french beans, with added guy ropes at each end, tied to strong wooden posts deeply embedded in the ground. As we garden on the side of a hill we get alot of wind, and so far hazel bean poles in tunnels have withstood the ferocious winds of the past few summers. Anyone found anything better than a compost heap to grow courgettes on?
03/06/2009 at 04:55
I garden in Bulgaria, could not find canes in the shops near here,so used branches and string. My beans are right up to the top and covered in flowers. The variety is Endora. They were sown on the 11 April, planted out on 23 April. Looking forward to a nice crop if I can keep the sun off them. It may be 10 in London but its 29 in Mindya!
04/06/2009 at 11:21
Well done commenter no. 1 for your very generous offer of free land. If only more people were so generous! Mary - I grew courgettes successfully last year in a large pot filled with bought compost - you just need to remember to feed and water and they grow well.
08/07/2009 at 20:26
Hi all, could anyone tell me if it is too late to plant runner bean seeds? Been so busy this year I have not had time to get them done. Thanks.
12/08/2009 at 17:50
Hi Mike, We live in Westbury and would love to speak to you about growing some veg in your garden if possible. Please email on jaimieshore@gmail.com Kind regards, Jaimie
18/08/2009 at 14:04
last year i noticed six black runner bean seeds in the seed i saved from the year before, i planted them and have started collecting the seed this year, the bean is about 16 inches long and a good shape,are there any alack beans on the market as these are the first i have seen
14/08/2010 at 10:50
I am growing runner beans but when the beans are pollenated some just drop off.Any suggestions please
06/05/2011 at 12:23
Hi you could try the ones used by Carole Kline on the BBC Gardeners World TV program.They are called spiral plant supports,Also they sell one for climbing plants they are called twister plant supports I have both sets they are just great.You can buy these at the babyllon web site.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
we've got quite a big garden in Westbury Wiltshire given mostly to grass. We would be happy if someone wanted to come and grow stuff on it. Free but if you wanted to give us the occasioanl potato that's ok
02/05/2012 at 13:52

when do you plant runner beans is it to late 2nd may? as a newbe would appreciate any advice...thanks

02/05/2012 at 13:57

Plant or sow?

Rough guide-

Sow in the next couple of weeks, plant around the end of the month- not before

02/05/2012 at 13:57
Not too late at all to sow them, might be too early to plant them out. Timing depends a lot on your area and the last frost date. You might get more responses if you post your question as a new topic...have a look through the other posts as well, there's been quite a bit of discussion about this.
02/05/2012 at 16:02

I seem to have great trouble getting French Beans (climbing or otherwise) to germinate. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also I have a rampant bamboo. Can I just cut some of this down and use it as support canes or do I need to let them dry out first?

02/05/2012 at 16:24
Don't keep the sowing medium too wet, or the seeds may rot before germination. I find a bit of bottom heat helps, but it isn't a prerequisite.
02/05/2012 at 16:27
On. The subject of supports, I read a very sensible idea- if you're using a wigwam type structure, don't close the whole circle, leave a cane out to make a 'C' shape. That way it's a lot easier to get in and pick the beans that have formed inside.
02/05/2012 at 21:05
figrat wrote (see)
Don't keep the sowing medium too wet, or the seeds may rot before germination.

Exactly what I think I must have been doing. Thanks for the tip!

email image
16 messages