London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
05/06/2009 at 13:51
I dug up some carrots in my garden today which I planted in the autum. One was fanged,two were fine - very long and very orange, the other one looks like it had other roots forming and it looks very dry. Is it alright?
05/06/2009 at 14:37
I potted on three courgette seedlings, grown from seed, in to a 12" pot, which now sits in the veg-plot. It gets full sun between midday and about 5pm. The result is lots of swelling buds just ready to burst in to flower. http://ukchilehead.blogspot.com/2009/06/courgette-zucchini-doing-well.html UK Chile Head
05/06/2009 at 14:50
I've been growing my courgettes on in large pots outside since the beginging of April and now they are in flower and producing fruits - hurray! But, should I now plant them out in the garden or will they grow quite happily in their pots. I am feeding regularly and watering daily with a gallon of water each plant from water butt. What should I do?
05/06/2009 at 18:08
I swoed my butternuts and some pumpkins in pots but this year I sowed the courgettes (Tosca - as an opera lover how could I resist?) direct in the soil and covered with a bell cloche. Two seeds and yesterday one sprouted vigorously. One plant gives quite enough courgettes for me, thanks very much!
06/06/2009 at 05:46
planted out courgettes in our new allotment yesterday. Trying them on ridges or mounds as have been advised this is best for them - anyone tried this before? though bulking up, flowers not in evidence yet!
06/06/2009 at 09:32
plant courgettes, squashes and marrows in 9 inch open ended pots in greenhouse or sheltered spot then transspose them pots and all directly into the soil once the soil has warmed up
06/06/2009 at 11:32
If you ever have to scrap an old washing machine, make sure you retrieve the front glass door first. It makes an ideal bell cloche for sowing courgettes directly outdoors
07/06/2009 at 18:56
with regard to not knowing what might come up in a bare patch, I had a patch under the seed birdfeeder and all sorts have come up, sunflowers, oats, and if i am not mistaken, well.... do they still put hemp seed in the wild mixtures?!
08/06/2009 at 22:09
Last year i got 1 yes 1 courgette from about 20 flowers the rest just flowered and then dropped off. This year i planted 2 in a little veg plot i have built and the first 2 flowers have just bloomed then dropped off!! Obviously males am i doing something wrong????
09/06/2009 at 15:04
I have tried to grow squash for the last 3years-get great plants which charge all over the place but the 'fruits' go rotten before they mature. What am I doing wrong?? I was going to give up on them this year but as I have received my DigIn seeds I thought I would give it one more go. Any advice/tips please?
09/06/2009 at 17:38
3 weeks ago I decided to have a go at growing some squash. Normally I would have bought new seed, but knowing that I had some fairly old (unknown variety) seed kicking around in my ever-growing seed collection, I planted them. I also sowed some newish courgette seed into pots filled with compost, strangely none of the courgette have germinated, but 1 of the unknown squash seeds has!! And doing very nicely after potting on into a bigger pot…hopefully if it gets to fruit I will let you know what variety it turns out to be!!
10/06/2009 at 00:31
We put a dozen cougette seeds in the ground in April and they have since taken over our small vegetable garden... We have long run out of recipies and find it hard to give them away to neighbours, as most have also grown their own. When you are here in San Diego, California, cougettes can sometimes be too easy!
11/06/2009 at 19:20
LAST YEAR I GREW COURGETTES WHICH DEVELOPED MILDEW AND ROTTED WHEN ABOUT 3 INCHES LONG. I HAVE TRIED AGAIN THIS YEAR AND WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY TIPS TO PREVENT IT HAPPENING AGAIN
11/06/2009 at 20:05
I planted out my butternut squashes last week - my favourite variety - but the other varieties have been in for more than a fortnight here in my sheltered little corner of South West London. Jane, why don't you plant them closer together? I always reckon two or three to a bed and I like it when the plants grow over the edges of the beds and along the paths - looks lush and generous and flourishing by late August!
12/06/2009 at 11:15
I am tempted to sell some of my little courgettes at the local village fete as i planted loads (As i lost loads last summer) only for them all to germinate! Typical!
12/06/2009 at 21:50
My courgettes have flowers on them but something keeps chewing them off. Thought of slugs - put down lots of slug pellets but the flowers are still getting chewed and then dropping off the plant. Any ideas?
14/06/2009 at 17:22
I have never brought a butternut squash seed in all the years I have had an allotment. Buy one from your local greengrocer use it and save the seeds, they will last forever if stored under dry conditions, this also applies to marrows and pumpkins
19/06/2009 at 15:24
Hi nice blog, I thought you may like to take a look at mine about growing Big Veg at: http://squidoo.com/fixerkev A little tip about courgette flowers you can clean them and dip them in lite batter and fry them untill golden just use the male flowers that will drop off anyway, they taste fantastic join my mailing list, email me at kjhowcroft@gmail.com
20/06/2009 at 17:44
i have just got my first plot and had to spend last 3 weeks clearing it sounds far fetch but after cutting down 5ft high grass i found wot i can only discribe as a secret garden the old boy who had it before me sadly passed away leaving me a plot with over 18 damson trees and a 10ft long scafold frame full of tayberries and blackberries unfortunately all have been left to go wild for last 3years what can i do with damson to help them trees will any thing grow with the amount of roots underground as not a large plot please help
25/06/2009 at 19:58
Hello Pat Grimes Yes, I've had the same result with bird seed - some lovely plants that looked just like cannabis. My friends & family were highly amused. Don't know what effect it has on the birds!
1 to 20 of 32 messages