Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Planting daffodils late

oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
In November 2002 we bought a sack of daffodils from a local garden centre for £5 00 when our granddaughter came home from school each evening she helped me plant them,last year quite a lot were blind but this year most are in flower,where the shrubs have got bigger the daffs have grown through 900 mm tall in places they look like periscopes looking out over the garden,

Oldchippy.

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

Through a slight 'oversight', I had a half-net of daffodil bulbs lurking in my unheated garage until yesterday - I planted them in a dozen or so black flower-buckets (ex-florist), along with some 'fresh' lily bulbs I'd had from Parks just last week. More in hope than expectation, I've watered them up and stood them alongside the greenhouse in a sunny spot. I'll let you know how they fare over the coming weeks, and months...?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's not late David, that's early for next yearimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

How about this for an idea then??   Taken the week before last, most are still in the bag and some are even flowering, a whole new type of air plant imageimage (They will be going in the garden at some point!!)

• INNAINNA Posts: 3

I planted my daffodils November last year and now i have beautiful yellow periscopes (oldchippy's words) about 30cm tall. I watched Garden's World program last year, where Monty told how to plant daffodils, and done exactly what he told... in result i have beautiful daffs image

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

Thanks for your consoling thoughts, Nutc! I make that I'm about 8-10 months ahead of myself with bulb planting - guess I can now relax (just for a wee while?). imageimageimageimage

• kaycurtiskaycurtis Posts: 111
    I came to Perch Hill at Christmas, I purchased more Tulips to go with the ones I had purchased through the post, didn't plant any until January, had wonderful pots of colour so planting late sometimes worth it.
  • BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Mike, thank you or that info about adjusting the planting depth. No matter how carefully I store my bulbs there are always a few sprouting the following year. Now I know what to do - always something to learn about gardening.image So much on the different threads.