London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
10 messages
20/03/2014 at 19:20
In November 2002 we bought a sack of daffodils from a local garden centre for £5 00 when our granddaughter came home from school each evening she helped me plant them,last year quite a lot were blind but this year most are in flower,where the shrubs have got bigger the daffs have grown through 900 mm tall in places they look like periscopes looking out over the garden,

Oldchippy.
20/03/2014 at 19:30

I've actually planted daffodil bulbs at Xmas and had good results ...........whilst it is probably preferable to plant earlier, you can still get good results with later planting.

Some recommended  "planting " times can be a bit limited........ just a good guide generally but depends on where you are

20/03/2014 at 19:56

Through a slight 'oversight', I had a half-net of daffodil bulbs lurking in my unheated garage until yesterday - I planted them in a dozen or so black flower-buckets (ex-florist), along with some 'fresh' lily bulbs I'd had from Parks just last week. More in hope than expectation, I've watered them up and stood them alongside the greenhouse in a sunny spot. I'll let you know how they fare over the coming weeks, and months...?

20/03/2014 at 20:27

That's not late David, that's early for next year

20/03/2014 at 20:50

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39871.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

How about this for an idea then??   Taken the week before last, most are still in the bag and some are even flowering, a whole new type of air plant  (They will be going in the garden at some point!!)

20/03/2014 at 22:17

Bulbs are so wonderful.  Regardless of what species they are.  They will tell YOU when they should be safely tucked away in the soil/compost.  Each bulb is in itself a store hous of knowledge.  It is a wealth of DNA, plus, it is equipped with sufficient food store to see it on it's way.  As soon as you see the tiniest of signs of life, a green tip or a fresh looking strand of root.  The bulb is in effect crying out to you, to plant it.  OK, perhaps you have missed the printed text of when, where and how to plant.  Don't dispair.  Perhaps somewhat drastic.  Say that you have a hundredweight of daffs still to plant.  If need be, for whatever reason time is running out. Just tip them out, cover them over with soil and they will do the rest. Re; Tracey's pics.  Should you have any bulbs already showing top growth. Plant them straight awar, but unlike the basic ideal of, planting bulbs twice their depth.  Now you have to adjust. With such advanced growth as T's bulbs, you now have to plant no dfeeper than the bulb itself.  Thus leaving the top growth above soil level.

20/03/2014 at 22:40

I planted my daffodils November last year and now i have beautiful yellow periscopes (oldchippy's words) about 30cm tall. I watched Garden's World program last year, where Monty told how to plant daffodils, and done exactly what he told... in result i have beautiful daffs

21/03/2014 at 19:50

Thanks for your consoling thoughts, Nutc! I make that I'm about 8-10 months ahead of myself with bulb planting - guess I can now relax (just for a wee while?).

23/05/2014 at 03:31
I came to Perch Hill at Christmas, I purchased more Tulips to go with the ones I had purchased through the post, didn't plant any until January, had wonderful pots of colour so planting late sometimes worth it.
23/05/2014 at 07:47

Mike, thank you or that info about adjusting the planting depth. No matter how carefully I store my bulbs there are always a few sprouting the following year. Now I know what to do - always something to learn about gardening. So much on the different threads.

email image
10 messages