London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
19/10/2009 at 09:22
Hi There is no chemical control available for garlic rust but keeping the foliage dry ie no overhead watering, will help to keep it in check. Yes it can reduce growth as it causes the leaves to die back early, but unless it hits very early this is of little significance in my experience. Best to rotate garlic with other crops ie 3-4 yrs, but the rust won't remain in the soil but other problems might!
22/10/2009 at 17:36
...Am I right in thinking garlic needs to be subject to frost to encourage the growing bulb to clove up? I tend to plant mine as early as possible, end oct begining of November. I plant loads and harvest when they look like a decent size but are still fairly green. I do this because I blitz the whole bulb in the processer with oil so it is roughly chopped and then freeze it in blobs or flakes ready to drop into a meal when needed.
24/10/2009 at 17:59
Two weeks ago I planted ten garlic cloves in individual 5" pots and kept them in my unheated greenhouse. This is my first attempt at growing garlic so I don't know what to expect but they have all grown shoots already (about 4" high so far). Is this normal or have I planted them too early? I read that they need to be planted overwinter to allow the root system to develop and allow the frosts to clove-up the bulb. Any advice would be appreciated - especially when to tell when to harvest.
25/10/2009 at 15:06
I grow garlic every year and I plant mine about 3" deep 4" apart and 8" between rows. There are so many diferent views, I just hope for the best.I am planting some today and more in February. My tips,make sure bulbs are not shooting when you plant. Remove any flower shoots as soon as they appear for a great crop.
02/11/2009 at 21:05
A confession : This weekend I returned to the Farmers' Market and have another few bulbs of Albigensian and some Early Purple for planting....just can't help myself, but it has got to be better than buying chocolate!
09/11/2009 at 16:43
I have been planting garliv for a long time. My bible is a copy of Organic Gardening dated Sept - Oct. 1993.Since I have been using this magazine, I grow the best garlic of all my friends. You need good seed. You have to use seed that is native to your area. If you are up north like me, you need to plant deep 4 to 6 inches. Try to find this book.
13/11/2009 at 08:35
Here in Weatern France I have tried Garlic with some success but never seem to get the size of cloves that commercial garlic achieves. Is it a watering thing or should I try and further enrich or even fertilise the soil?
16/11/2009 at 09:11
I STARTED DOING GARLIC FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST YEAR I GOT TOLD YOU HAVE TO PLANT THEM AND LET THE FROST AT THEM SO I PLANTED THEM ABOUT OCTOBER AND LEFT THEM THEY STARTED TO CUME UP SO I JUST LEFT THEM AND HARF WAY INTO THE SUMMER I LOOKED TO SEE HOW THEY WHERE DOIND I WAS MADE UP TO SEE THEY WHERE GROWING AND THAT YEAR I GOT A GOOD CROP SO I AM GOING TO DO IT AGANE AND SEE IT WAS NOT BEGINERS LUCK LETS JUST SEE
04/02/2010 at 21:50
I planted cloves from a garlic I grew last year(Christa Wight) in Nov but so far there is no sign of growth. Should I use new cloves?
09/07/2010 at 07:04
Where can I find out which garlics are for Autumn planting and which for Spring?
08/04/2011 at 15:57
I wish i could plant some garlic in the roof top of my house, it will look great and it will give me some wonderful bulbs thanks to all the sun exposure. Thanks
28/11/2011 at 18:39
I love garlic too, and I plant it on the side of flower beds for early crops - no extra manure, no extra care and wonderful garlic! Not bad. But what is bad is that the weather forecast which gave soil temperature and wind speed on top of the normal ferecast has disappeared. Why? How do I now know when to plant my garlic?
09/12/2013 at 18:42
I am currently staying at my home in Canada. It is December and I'm wondering if I can simply plant out my garlic plants in topsoil now. It is currently 9 degrees below zero, is this too cold and if so, what should I do? Many thanks, Delphine.
10/12/2013 at 06:59

Delphine - I've no idea but we have a Canadian gardener or two on here so I'll bump this up in the hope that they'll see your query.

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages