London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
18 messages
10/04/2009 at 20:19
I have tried for years to grow snowdrops from bulbs but all failed. Last month I purchased some snowdrops in pots that were well past their best but in-the-green. I have now replanted them all in a big pot where they will be left undisturbed. I will be thrilled if they flower next year.
10/04/2009 at 22:17
Definetly in the green. We planted 100 hundred bulbs 2 years ago and not one came up, i was given some in the green last year and they flowered profously this year.
11/04/2009 at 15:20
I have had a ballerina plum tree along side 2 apple,plum & charry ballerina tress - all but the plum flower & fruit. It bears green leaves - any ideas as to why no fruitit is a Victoria so should be a proliferate cropper
11/04/2009 at 15:23
I have 4 fushsia bushes all established from one plant.By bow it is in leaf & has flowered nearly all year round - this year nothing - has it being "bugged" by something - cannot believe the cold spell in Feb harmed them - they have been in my garden in Middx for over 10yrs -
12/04/2009 at 13:11
Keith - sounds like your plum tree has suckers. Could be a waste of space if you get no fruit. Won't your supplier replace it?
12/04/2009 at 18:12
Late last year or early this year Gardeners World visited an expert Hydrangea grower. The man said if he had to choose one Hydrangea he would choose ??? as it was small and compact and his favorite. I jotted down the variety but unfortunately lost the piece of paper. Can anyone help?
12/04/2009 at 18:28
i know its not about snow drops but it is a bulb , you see im newish to gardening and i only know that tulips come in bold colours but ive found a green and white one in my garden is this new or pretty common
13/04/2009 at 08:41
Michael - the surprises in gardening are never ending and quite wonderful. You tulip has been on the market some years and is very pretty. Try to increase it by splitting off the small bulblets when you lift them. My great surprise in the bulb kingdom this year is a three-headed fritillary. It is a fritillaria meleagris and they usually only have one head although double-headed ones are becoming more common.
13/04/2009 at 11:38
thank you
15/04/2009 at 20:18
I tried snowdrops from bulb in 2007, the squirels got a lot of them, out of those left none came up, this year one put in an appearance (which I cherished for its effort though it did look lonely) - this year I have gone for 'in the green' and hope my single snowdrop won't be so lonely next year.
19/04/2009 at 17:40
As a gardener of 2 years only I have planted bulbs each year and the majority of them have blossomed with this year's show being exceptional. However, I hadn't heard of 'in-the-green' so this year will have a go at this and look forward to the results.
25/04/2009 at 15:56
Definitely plant snowdrops in the green. I get them from our biweekly market in little bundles for a few pence each week I can afford them and spread them out under the apple tree. They then fight their way through the rough grass each year to make a wonderful display.
28/04/2009 at 08:47
Well, looks like the in-the-greens have it ! I also plant winter aconites and sometimes even narcissus in the green (though the latter is admittedly only because they come as a free gift from the nursery from which I buy the aconites and snowdrops!)
15/05/2009 at 08:12
As a member of the RAF Police we have historically been known as snowdrops due to our white hats. At the Defence Police School at MOD Southwick Park near Portsmouth, we have a memorial stone within the grounds of the Military Police church. I wish to plant a selection of snowdrops within the grass surrounding the memorial in order to have a display for as much of the year as possible. Is there plants available that would suit an open site and would tolerate dry conditions?
03/03/2010 at 11:10
i sent off for 100 snowdrops in the green 2 years ago but since planting them no sign of any growth i thought i would have had a few at least this year any advice what to do would be appreciated
28/11/2011 at 18:38
Definitely in-the-green, Pippa. I tried for years with bulbs with no success - the mice and squirrels ate them all. But now I have sheets of several varieties and can split clumps up every April to make more. The native snowdrop seeds itself best in my heavy clay, I find. If you can only afford a few to start with why not grow them in a pot for the first year?
16/04/2012 at 20:08
when snowdrops die do they produce seeds as a friend fetched me some seed prods that had grown from her snowdrops
16/04/2012 at 21:29

Hello,

I had a small but pretty showing of snowdrops this year. They were only bulbs that I got cheap. I've moved & divided small clumps  from else where in the garden & also bought 20 plants in the green.(more like 35)

Fingers crossed

email image
18 messages