London (change)
Fri 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
27/08/2010 at 19:04
hi i have never heard of any of these bulbs before, only a gardening beginner really. I tend to go to our local garden store and see what bulbs are being sold and if i like the look of them on the packet i just buy them. i would really like to know what bulbs and hardy plants should be able now to buy if you know i like to have some bedding plants but i also like to buy hardy because they will come back i am try to get things to plant that will pop up at different times to give constant colour?
28/08/2010 at 15:37
I'm still not sure. I already have a lot of alliums in my garden. But I think that they don't bloom very long. I also like crocosmia lucifer but they grow so strong that I think I already have more than a hundred bulbs. Can you recommend a summer blooming bulb with a maximum height of 40 cm ? I live in Belgium so it can be a lite bit colder here than in the UK.
28/08/2010 at 17:50
Bees sleep in crocus flowers? That is so cool!
29/08/2010 at 09:34
I'm planting loads of tulips this year. I'm planting the bulbs in pots with daffs planted on top. The daffs will grow first then the tulips after so my display will last longer.
29/08/2010 at 10:01
ive been out yesterday buying loads and loads of bulbs from the garden centre ready to plants,,,as ive now got a extra piece of land to add to my garden,it will give a lovely splash of colour in spring and hopefully attract lots of bees too. is it true the bulbs [snake heads] are difficult to grow from a bulb as the lady in garden centre said they were???? but i brought them anyway......
29/08/2010 at 11:49
I plant most of my bulbs in aquatic baskets then when they have finished flowering I dig the baskets up and store them out of the way of mice and plant Dahlia's (which have been growing in pots in my greenhouse) in the space. When the frost has killed off the Dahlia foliage I dig them up and replace them with the aquatic baskets and so on.... this way I don't have bare patches in my borders or have to look at the bulb foliage turning brown.
30/08/2010 at 18:41
I love bumblebees ands its so cute that Queen bee sleeps in the crocus. I will be planting plenty of those now. Great article x
30/08/2010 at 20:42
have brought loads and loads of crocuses today as reading about the queen bee sleeping in them before finding her nest sounded soooooooooooooooooo sweet,i hope i find bees in mine come spring time. thanks katie for that lovely info. in total 60 crocus bulbs so hopefully i'll get a least 1 queen bee in there.
30/08/2010 at 21:58
I'm going to have a parrot tulip frenzy in pots. Bold, some would say garish, but full of colour and life. I love the parrot ones in bud with their frilly edges.
31/08/2010 at 09:09
Reply to french-dream09 There are loads of bulbs available in garden centres now, daffodils, crocus, tulips etc. You can get daffodils to flower from January to May if you plant different types. Reply to beauceron2 What about Galtonia or summer hyacinth? It needs a well-drained soil in full sun, but it should be ok with slightly lower temperatures than UK Reply to sarahspondlife Snakes head fritillaries can be quite tricky to grow as their natural habitat is damp meadow/wetland. But that doesn't mean yours won't grow - you might have the perfect conditions for them. They grow best in grass or well-drained but damp soil in the sun or half shade. If you don't let them dry out completely they should be ok. PS - great news about the crocuses. Plant them somewhere sunny!
31/08/2010 at 17:59
I love this time of year when u can start planting bulbs i bought 75 Tulips,40 Fritillaria,60 Crocuses, 60 Daffodils and 12 Hyacinths hopefully thats enough ?
01/09/2010 at 06:53
I grow lots of bulbs in pots/tubs and over winter them in the potting shed then I start watering and move them into the greenhouses about now when all my tomato plants are finishing. This way I can move them outside in Spring. I think that Tete a Tete and Minnow are my favourites. i Also grow Daffodils, Narcissus. Pushkinia, Alliums and Crocus etc. This year bumblebees nested in one of my bird boxes after the fledglings had flown. I read your blog about bumblebees and Crocus so off I went to the garden centre and bought a load more Crocus bulbs plus a few other things of course[not sure where I am going to put them all as my garden is quite small!]
07/09/2010 at 09:54
Didn't know about bumblebees sleeping over in crocuses - will definitely be planting more crocus bulbs this year - hoping for a successful bumblebee n b!
09/09/2010 at 19:18
A bumblebee n b! Brilliant. I might have to steal that one!
24/09/2010 at 13:55
Hi, just gotta answer re bumblebees - I wasn't going to do crocus this year but I've changed my mind! I received my daffs and tulips on tuesday and they already planted so time to choose some more bulbs I think. I've heard cyclamen and a cat are not compatible - should I avoid these plants?
28/09/2010 at 12:56
My opinion on bulbs to plant for Spring has changed over the last few years. Partly following a visit to the tulip gardens at KeukenHof. But also because I think bulbs in particular are affected by fashions. We’ve seen the Alium rise to fame in the last decade, and also some of the lillies and more ebullient types of tulip. Being a simple kind of creature, I always thought I tended to prefer very clean, non-showy classics – like Narcisuss Thalia for example. However, I have to say, I’ve become fan of some of the more unusual tulips in recent years. This is because they look fantastic in pots. The best displays of tulips in pots I’ve seen are at Rousham – a fabulous garden in Oxfordshire. And last year I took the opportunity have a quick chat with the head gardener. He reckons the secret is that more is more with bulbs. Get a massive terracotta pot, and plant twenty five vibrant tulips in there. Do them in layers at different heights. And if you’re planting in pots – you can absolutely get away with vibrancy, and some of the more frilly parrot varieties without them looking vulgar. One tip I’m trying this year is to pick many different varieties – all within the same colour palette range – instead I’m varying the textures. Elspeth Briscoe
04/10/2010 at 12:39
whats another name four a daffodill please
13/05/2011 at 12:15
As you can see it's quite a large bulb, but it fits quite happily into my standard ceiling lampshade and illuminates the room brightly. http://www.handystores.co.uk/category/86-Traditional-Bulbs.aspx
10/09/2011 at 14:22
Does it matter what compost I use to plant spring bulbs? I have seen bulb fibre is this best or can I use any compost?! Thanks Dawn :)
18/11/2011 at 13:04
Thats an all around well thought out article...
1 to 20 of 21 messages