Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Plants for dry shade

Have to disagree there, Tetley, I have 5 hydrangeas growing very well between/under a hazel and a huge magnolia. Only have to give them water if it's been dry for several days.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I am also surprised that astrantias have been included. They like some shade but they don't like being dry. I have found this from experience and all the growing instructions I've read say moist soil.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Tiarellas the same, they don't cope well here. If you have to water them if it's been dry for several days they are not plants for dry shade. Most shade plants would be suitable if you watered them. A plant for dry shade is a plant that can look after itself in that situation.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I have to agree with most of the comments above. Hydrangeas like water - the clue is in the name. I have also found that astrantias struggle in too much shade of any kind. Agree with Nut - plants for dry shade need to be able to cope without extra watering by the gardener! some Japanese anemones do well - the pink, single ones I find - although they take a while to get established.

• ToadyToady Posts: 56
    Geranium Macrorizum, Galium odorata and Pulmonaria all excel in dry shade
  • I find that my pulmonaria struggle a bit in the dry area under my trees - they need watering quite frequently during dry spells.  They're much happier in the damper area near the pond.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine do OK dry and long as absolutely no sun hits them at any time

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Ah, that's probably the problem - mine get sun in the long summer afternoons/evenings after which they need a good soaking.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• linjoylinjoy Posts: 12
    I need a climber to disguise a tree stump (8ft tall.)

It would be north facing and in shallow dryish soil. Any ideas?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

can't you cut the stump lower?

Devon.