London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
15/11/2010 at 21:33
Daphne - the perfume is just perfect and it flowers so early and encourages me back into the garden after my hibernation - yes I am a fair weather gardener.
17/11/2010 at 09:43
Oh to be reminded of the smell of spring and summer flowers as things get grey and cold outside thanks Adam. To me tho the smell of a freshly cut lawn is one of the great gardening delights.
17/11/2010 at 16:16
I've just treated myself to a Sarcococcus hookeriana var. humilis- the fragrant box - and planted it in a big container with some winter pansies. It will sit outside the kitchen door and waft the lovely fragrance throughout the dark days of winter.
19/11/2010 at 15:05
Please can anyone help.I am wanting to to grow some hyacinths for christmas.I planted the in containers about six weeks ago and put them in a dark warmplace the have now started to sprout.Do i now bring them out of the dark the sprouts are white or do i leave them longer and do they need hot or cold coditions
21/11/2010 at 22:23
danehill, if your Hyacinths are sprouting they definitely need ligh or they'll be pale and leggy. Keep them cool - they're really outdoor plants and don't like it too warm. Too much heat will make them leggy and floppy and they'll be martyrs to aphids. An unheated room would be ideal. You can bring them into your living room when they start flowering. As soo as the flowers go over, cut them off and return the pots to a cool plsce. Feed them for next year until the leaves start to die. Then you can plant them in the garden or keep them dry in their pots somewhere cool, like a shed. Don't forget to label them or you might accidentally throw them away. By the way, it would have been better to put them in a cool dark place rather than warm, but if they're sprouting they should be ok. Good luck for scent at christmas.
21/11/2010 at 23:58
I find that virtually all plants have perfume, you just need to go close enough, on your knees if necessary! It's worth it, the most delicate is often the most beautiful.
22/11/2010 at 16:07
What is a Cleopatra needle we got one at a recent visit to the Christmas market. How do we plant it and what does it look like
22/11/2010 at 19:50
With my well endowed nose I take great pleasure from whiffing a wide variety of objects - animal , vegetable & mineral. Without doubt honeysuckle ranks as of lifes great smelling pleasures!
22/11/2010 at 19:52
the hyacinth reminds me of my grandmother as she always grew them at christmas
22/11/2010 at 19:55
thegarden at this time of year is cold and wet the time for cutting back and planting bulbs for the spring .
22/11/2010 at 19:55
the fresh lovely smell is good and cheery in these winter months.
23/11/2010 at 10:25
Reply to Yvonne: I've no idea. Is is a bulb/seed/plant? Any other clues?
25/11/2010 at 22:26
Yvonne, the 'Cleopatra's Needle' plant you have is a kind of orchid. I found a site that will give you more information. Orchids in general need special soil, really mostly bark which absorbs a little moisture. The link: http://www.orchidspecies.com/indextuvwxyz.htm Hope this helps.
25/11/2010 at 22:30
Adam, reading the above post about fragrant plants makes me want to ask why you don't identify that beautiful rose you feature at the top of the post? It is a beautiful form, which we, as rose lovers, would want to consider. Thanks. Chris
20/12/2010 at 10:36
I think that this is really a good way to show that the website still exists, as this would help to show the presence of the business. Houston moving company
22/12/2010 at 10:20
Yvonne, this is what you have. I got one too from a Christmas market! Good luck in growing it!! http://www.growsonyou.com/photo/slideshow/174530-eremurus-cleopatra
27/03/2011 at 01:54
thanks for this great post! i love roses as plants and perfumes... they're simply one of a kind. :) angela
01/04/2011 at 12:02
good i like it. Latest Beauty Perfumes collection with information available here. Get Updated information for your Beauty through video clips & in written document. http://beauty-perfumes.blogspot.com/
12/05/2011 at 16:00
sometimes I prefer perfumes that smells like nature, when I buy perfumes online this kind of character is my first priority....
03/06/2011 at 18:01
I must agree that one of the main reasons I love flowers is for their scent. But I have a problem.. My partner and I were given a bare-root rose as an engagement present last November. It is now in full floom and looking beautiful. The only thing is that it has no scent at all, even though the discription which came with it said it is meant to be'highly fragrant'. The rose variety is Iceberg Floribunda Rose. Does anyone know why that has happened?
1 to 20 of 21 messages