Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Plants for small gardens - BBC Gardeners' World Live 2009

akebiaakebia Posts: 3
Agree with susan16pen about trees - shade, roots etc present a challenge to small gardens. Nice selection of plants but it would be really good to see some examples of small gardens with them in situ.

• Very disappointed with this article. Surely there should be more colour. Or devise a separate plan for a veg garden and a flower garden.
  • I agree with the above comments. a very poor article - an uninteresting drab choice of plants.
  • surely there are more in the way of trees
  • I also agree with susan. I was expecting something a little more exciting for small gardens.
  • madsmads Posts: 1
    Paulownia is tremendous, spectacular growth in a season. I have one in my very narrow and long garden. It grows to 12 feet with dinner plate size oviate leaves. It then gets cut down to the base and re-grows the following year. It is unlike the Paulownia (Foxglove tree) in my local park which is covered in blue flowers in the spring. Mine does not flower, the leaves are much larger, I wondered if it is a hybrid, does anyone know?
  • I saved this article which was sent to me a few days ago to read at my leisure, what a waste of time that was!! Totally uninspiring plants, apart from the hellebore, snowdrops, sedum and cowslips that is. Quite frankly, you would have a better show by sprinkling a couple of packets of wild flower seeds than this lot.
  • What's drab about hellebores, snowdrops, alliums and sedums? i think this is a lovely piece and shall be growing all of these plants in my small garden!
  • Re: trees for small gardens, I have a crepe myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica and L. faurei) in my small garden. They are available in many different sizes, from 3 to 30 feet in height. They have the added advantage of having year round interest with their bark colour and texture. I have a Zuni (semi-dwarf), currently about 2-3 feet tall. It is just now blooming and is beautiful! (http://www.clemson.edu/extension/horticulture/landscape_ornamentals/crapemyrtle/varieties/semi_dwarf/zuni.html)
  • I agree with above comments. What a dull selection, and the cowslip (whilst certainly lovely naturalised in a meadow area) is hardly ideal for a small garden where I feel everything has to earn it's keep far more.
  • boring. what about some climbers? and some hebes and epimediums? i'd stick in a prunus ukon with greenish flowers, or an acer capellipes (sp?) - snake bark maple. i'd put in at least one old rose shrub, such as rosa alba semi-plena, underplanted with some hebes or variegated vincas, and maybe some dark purple ajuga...