18 messages
26/02/2010 at 17:04
Watercress? In your pond?! What a good idea. I need something to cover the surface. The algae is out of control. I'm going to have a look at the plant database.
26/02/2010 at 18:24
I'm not sure about the postcode database - it lists Mares-tail for my area. I know it doesn't say that it is garden worthy - but who on earth would want to introduce that to their garden ??? Thank god it doesn't seem to list himalayan balsam - a beautiful plant, but a major problem in waterways here in the New Forest.
26/02/2010 at 21:00
I know Barhi the postcode database listed mare's tail as native to my area too. I guess they just have to include all species. Glad it's not garden worthy though. And yes GillHGardener, the watercress works really well. It's really spicy, much more so than shop-bought stuff. Hardy too - survived through the weeks of ice and snow and is thriving! Will probably end up on the list of invasive species at this rate!
26/02/2010 at 21:04
The database isn't recommending what to introduce: it's simply showing what is native to the area. Marestail may be pure prehistoric evil in plant form, but it is native.
26/02/2010 at 22:15
hi i have a very small pond[3ft wide] in shade,i do have lots of frogs & newts in it.i would love some pond plants but i dont know what sort of pond plants to put in there.when i ask at garden centre im greeted with mmmm not sure..[i would like something with flowers on it..] also katie did you find out anything out about the palmate newts in my blog ie are they protected........
02/03/2010 at 09:19
Hi Sarah Thanks for the info. I am having my small pond redone as its leaking. I am going to replace the weater feature with plants. I will need oyygenators and as i have a lovely white lily i thought I would put in a small iris. I too have at least one resident frog and a couple of fish ,some died in the cold. My pond is raised ,about 1.5m by 1m and ony 33cm deep so any plants won't have too much depth. The big problem is it was built in the sunniest part of the garden. Any suggestions for small, oxygenators would be welcome as i don't know much about them. I live in Berkshire. Thank you.
02/03/2010 at 18:43
we have some old lime trees which need pollarding. I have been told that they can be cut off 'with the knuckle'. Any advice?
21/03/2010 at 21:43
we have about 50 to 6o frogs in our pond as well as the same amount of newts and 2 bucketfuls of spawn perthshire scotland
25/03/2010 at 18:03
Can anyone help? I planted a prunus flowering cherry tree, the mock one that produces blossoms. It is 3 years old this year, but has never produced any pale pink blossoms in the Spring/May as expected, just healthy green leaves. When will it blossom, I'm beginning to get a bit impatient!
02/08/2010 at 20:01
What a lovely Blog! Great information. I'm building a pond this year so am looking for anything that will make it successful. Take a look at my video for growing indoors : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpMs5tno5pg
07/02/2011 at 17:58
Try Waterside Nursery too - they have a good selection of British Native pond plants and theirs are sent already in the right baskets if they need one. No messing around trying to root them after they arrive.
24/05/2011 at 06:13
Nice info about pond plants, In fact i was looking for some water pumps in search i got your post that is also relevant to my interest. Pond Leak
14/07/2011 at 19:14
Candle Wall Decor Decor Candle.
19/07/2011 at 20:13
In my opinion we should let the nature be what it is. Our climate is changing and oxygen is needed for all animals. This article is in my opinion very well written.
19/07/2011 at 20:17
In my opinion we should let the nature be what it is. Our climate is changing and oxygen is needed for all animals. This article is in my opinion very well written. Pescado
22/11/2011 at 15:30
This surely makes perfect sense to me!!!
28/11/2011 at 18:40
Hi Sarah, sorry for not getting back to you re the newts. Basically if they've been in your garden for four years you're doing a good job, so don't worry. If you ever find a dried up newt under a stone in autumn. don't return it to the pond as it is preparing itself for hibernation. Jules from Amphibian and Reptile conservation said that it's quite hard to identify palmate newts, so yours could be palmates, or they could be common newts. But relax, you're doing a good job! Re your pond plants, take a look at the plantlife website and search for frogbit and water crowfoot, see what you think. I think they're really nice, and both have flowers. Kate
13/05/2012 at 14:44
U need a couple of bunches of Canadian pond weed, it's not native but ideal for new ponds, plant it it baskets so u can control it as it grows rapid in warmer weather! Then u need to buy a little duck weed which is a floating plant which will help the stop the sun from letting algea thrive! U must not let it cover the full pond, but about half as your canadian pond weed needs light, though very hardy and can also tolerate shade. Next u need some marginal plants for your selfs, water iris is a good choice but try to avoid the yellow version unless u are willing to lift them every year and separate them as they a normally a no no for small garden ponds. The Siberian iris could be a good choice, marsh marigold is also a nice easy plant to grow. All and all that's about all u need to start I off, once it's established u could then think about adding a nice water Lilly, ( nymphoides peltata ) water fringe would be the perfect choice, though it's not actually a Lilly it's a little plant that grows just the same and ideal for u! The flowers differ from the traditional lilly but flowers all the same. Hope this helps paul
email image
18 messages