Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Protect cordyline for winter

what if my cordyline is planted in the ground. Is it the same technique?

• Great advice thank you :-)
  • The recent snow has damaged the leaves on my cordyline - broken them at the stem so they wont stand up. What should I do with the plant now - will this kill it off?
  • will standing in its pot in a plastic greenhous be sufficient? do i open door/window during the day?

Thank You
  • What is the coldest temp you would leave cordyline outside?
  • I did all that was shown on the video but come spring my lovely cordyline had rotted why and my other one that was in a pot and not covered is flourishing ?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi carol, wet is more of an issue for a cordyline than anything, and if a wet pot then gets exposed to a severe cold snap that won't help.  Was the first one in very wet soil to start with? The second one might have been in drier conditions  and in a more sheltered spot.  Any other info you can give will help with advice or suggestions. image

Giving them the protection of a house wall can help enormously - they get less rain and exposure to severe weather that way. Just make sure it's not the wall which is in the direction of the prevailing wind and rain though! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • my corderline is in a pot would it be ok to move it into the garage and will i have to go and water it often  from diane 

• My cordies are in good, heavy pots. Last year I fleeced around the pots, loosely tied the leaves together and put them in the greenhouse. I watered probably only about once every 10 days or so, and they were perfectly fine when I took them out again. 

This is year I have also got a large green one and a load of different palms, all in pots so I shall be doing the same with them this year. 

and now I will go and watch the video lol

• You should only need to cover the Cordyline (australis) if we are forecast -5 or less for days on end (2010 comes to mind). Covering them up now till April is not necessary. Just fleecing the crown is all that is needed for short bursts of cold less than -5C. The taller the Cordyline the lower the temps it tends to take. If you have any half-hardy Cordyline (Banksi) then you do need to fleece at temps below -3C.