Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Protecting crops

I'm having my first attempts at growing mini italian plum tomatoes this year. Any advice,i.e do i pinch out side shoots etc please ! :-)

• Yes we had a heat wave last week! and i had to water newly planted flowers & veg.
    I am presently watching gardeners world and Jo swift said that the danger of frost was now past!, as i am looking at SNOW on Elerkin the large hill in front of my house.
    This country's great last week i stayed at home and had a summer to rival the south of France today we are back to an English January. Will my plants really cope with these two extremes within 24/48 hours ??
    It looks really strange with trees in full leaf and snow on the ground unfortunately my camera battery is flat. so i am willing it to charge up before dark.
  • i am trying to grow potatoes for the first time, yesterday the weather changed to heavy rain and battering winds. My potatoe stalks and leaves have been blown over and are flat and limp - will they come back or should i try to support them? can anyone help
  • Hi Sandra, are you growing earlies or main crop? Generally if you had "earthed up" the potatoes then this should have protected the plants and they should recover without the need of support, also if you are growing earlies then I would have thought the crop is nearly ready for digging up!!!
  • Hello everyone i'm also growing potatoes for the first time and evet timerything is going well i doubt that the potatoe plants were complaining bout the weather i wasn't,ehehhehe scorching heat wave in the west of ireland last few weeks, but we are back to mild weather now and i followed gardeners world advice and sprayed the plants with copper fungicide agains't blight.could anyone tell me when its the right time for digging my first tatoes out,and should i keep spraying every two weeks till then????????????regards
  • Hello everyone!

I'm growing peas for the first time and being busy and all i left my raised beds of vegetables alone for a few days and today i went back for a bit of watering and i noticed that my pea plants that are about 10cm tall were all twisted and curled agains't each other.will they die like this??????should i provide each plant with support??????please advice thank you
  • Hi everyone!

Litlle story of personal success in gardening!
    7pm back home after crap day at work recession etc,had dinner with wife and 3 week old daughter great after went outside for a bit of watering on my first time planted fruit and veg and to my surprise while i was watering my strawberrie plants i found a fairly nice well grown strawberrie hiden underneat the foliage,i cut it off couldn't resist it and run to the house and shared the washed strawberrie with the wife mmmmhhhhhh the best ever.i think the visitors tought i was a weirdo,so much fuss over a strwberrie.but it was my first one since i've planted them in april,regards
  • There are actually traps to catch them. Whether there are any humane versions I don't know.
  • The first home grown strawberry will probably be one of the best things that you and your family ever eat, long may it continue!!
  • Has anyone else had their entire veg plot, and flowerbeds, and trees, and shrubs etc destroyed in a matter of minutes by yesterday's hail? We had about 2 inches of the stuff, it's completely shredded everything :(
  • Anj
    Poor you! No significant hail damage this year, but on occasion in the past. I suggest you try to remove anything seriously damaged, then gove everything a feed and hopefully most of the plants will rgow out of the damage.