London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
8 messages
05/10/2010 at 18:46
Not me! Mainly because the wasps beat the birds to my fruit.... that is, all those that haven't already fallen prey to codling moth grubs. But part-eaten fruit are still good for juicing (once the nibbled bits have been cut away). And like Ryan, I leave/put on the ground all those fruit that are too nibbled for all the other wildlife to enjoy. Actually, I've found much less trouble with pears - proably because you pick them before they're ripe, so beating the birds to the bounty.
05/10/2010 at 19:07
Hello Adam, I have had the very same problem with apples, i have had the crows eating them from the tree. I am not so philosophical about it as you are, in fact i was near to shooting them. I have solved it by tying hazardous tape to the trees! The yellow/black or red/black tape. It looks ugly but seems to work for me. Polly
11/10/2010 at 09:39
Nice idea Polly. Not the best looking solution, but if it works .....
13/10/2010 at 16:42
Where can I buy green manure seeds in the Poole, Wimborne, Dorset area?
13/10/2010 at 17:56
Reply to Lynne: I'd buy it by mail-order from one of the seed companies. Most of them sell green manure seeds, so just do a Google search to find a supplier.
14/10/2010 at 22:07
My blueberry crop this year was pathetic. Normally I have to net it or the Gannets (not real ones) but Blackbirds etc will be after it from morning til night. This year even the Blackbirds didn't want to know. I had the picking for 2 lots of breakfast with my muesli. The rest of the fruit was so small I left it for the birds and even they didn't want it. How weird is that? Incidentally I have 5 Blueberry bushes grown in large pots as my soil pH is 6.8. Last year I had Kilos of Blueberries, so maybe the bushes are just having a rest, but it is still weird the birds didn't even go for the smaller fruit, anyone any ideas? or have I just got totally spoiled birds.
23/06/2011 at 05:13
Congratulations on possessing actually one of one of the vital subtle blogs Ive arrive across in a while! Its just superb how a lot you’ll be capable to contemplate away from a thing mainly merely due to how visually stunning it is. Youve place collectively an excellent blog website space –nice graphics, motion pictures, layout. This is definitely a should-see web site!
28/11/2011 at 18:41
I tend to take a few windfall apples, cut them in half and leave them at the base of the tree. The blackbirds seems to like the easier option of a skinless apple laid out for them rather than pecking at an apple still on the branch.
email image
8 messages