Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Putting hardy gerberas to the test

i love these i have had them for the last 3 years and they do very well.. dont even mind snow.. i split mine last year as they had got pot full.. so smaller ones this year and not so many flowers.

But wouldnt be without them in my pots..

• i might have to try them will they grow in the garden rather than pots
  • I have a yellow one and it has been so lovely all summer and still is. I think I shall look for more next year as they are so good.
  • Hi little-ann. The lovely Garvinea gerberas should grow perfectly well in borders, although I've only grown them in pots.

To be honest, the temperature of soil in most borders may not drop as low as that in pots, so provided the site doesn't get waterlogged in winter I don't see any reason why they shouldn't flourish.
  • thanks adam i will look out for them

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The last lot of so called hardy gerberas I had, produced one flower in a season and then promptly died.  Waste of money.

• figet.. maye it was an outdoor oneimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

What is hardy in Cornwall, is not very often hardy up here. Cannas are hardy in cornwall. If I leave mine out I can wave good bye.

• i have cannas still outside its the first year for me so i hope they will overwinter in the greenhouse

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147

I too was dissapointed with my Gerberas I've not even had a flower this year.