London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
7 messages
11/11/2007 at 19:04
As a new grower of Jerusalem artichokes,I am looking for different ways to cook them. I roasted some last Sunday alongside potatoes, which were tasty, but I would welcome further tried and tested ideas.
15/11/2007 at 22:12
I am a new allotment plot holder, well six months now (www.hackersallotment.blogspot.com) and I seem to read about Jerusalem artichokes quite a lot. First I need to taste them, I keep mistaking ginger for them in the supermarket, I need to know where to get some tubers from as I haven't seen a local greengrocer for years (disappointing... but that's another story). hope to hear where I can purchase soon. Thanks.
06/12/2007 at 16:29
Grew runner beans this year for the first time. Usually grow french beans. Planted into raised concrete planters with 8ft cane wigwams. They did fantastically well, with a bumper crop which lasted for more than six weeks. Good size and very juicy with pods regularly reaching up to 30cm in length. Got a very good return from the packet - all or most of the beans sprouted. We had so many plants we sold some at a plant sale!
11/12/2007 at 09:37
I have never grown Jerusalem artichokes before, are they easily available and will they grow well in my garden? It is well protected and as we live 1.5 miles from the north east coast will they survive, my other veg do fairly well but this is new to me. Originally from Kent, my father grew them when i was a boy and they would bring back great memories of his lush allotment many thanks.
15/06/2008 at 20:34
I grew a batch of Jerusalem Arctichokes but my wife who does the cooking was not impressed with them. The tops died off over winter and around February the flat area where they once were became the depository for our annual pile of farmyard manure. As the months progressed and the pile got smaller we noticed blanched stalks among the manure. It became clear they were Artichokes trying to reach the daylight. We decided to risk a little taste, and after a good wash and stripping of a strong outer layer tasted the soft white inner. It tasted a bit like celery. Are there any records on whether this has been tried before or if it has any culinary value. We have sufferd no ill effects. I would love to hear your comments.
09/04/2010 at 09:16
Hi I know it's late and my artichokes should've been dug long ago. Hence they're now sprouting so need to get them out of the ground. Could you please advise me as to how I should store them. They're such a lovely veg - dont't want to lose this crop.
28/11/2011 at 18:30
Actually, the family of artichokes are a stunning addition to the garden - the Globe Artichoke being like an enormous thistle (if you let the edible head burst into flower)! I think I will be growing some Jerusalem Artichokes next year as I have a couple of problem areas (behind the bins) which need brightening up ;)!
email image
7 messages