14 messages
26/09/2013 at 10:41
In the early 1990s I worked on a private estate in Stokenchurch where Red Kites had been released on Christmas common by the land owner,we would see them every day circling over head,being a towny they came as a complete surprise. Oldchippy.
26/09/2013 at 11:50

I had a client in Mid Wales 20 years ago and I would make an excuse to go and visit so I could stand in her garden with a cuppa and watch the Red Kites wheeling about below us

Amazing

26/09/2013 at 21:39

I once had the pleasure of visiting Wormsley Park, the home of Sir Paul Getty, and saw red kites flying overhead there for the first time. Sir Paul was instrumental in their reintroduction to southern England around 1989.

26/09/2013 at 22:40
Common buzzard are also becoming common again. I've had a nesting pair not far from my house and the mewing, soaring and thermal-riding of the parents & offspring are a pleasant sound and sight.

Regarding mobbing of avian predators by smaller birds - it happens a lot. I once witnessed a goshawk being chased by several vocal blackbirds and have seen a pair of spars (sparrowhawks) being mobbed by feeding sand martins. Spars are quick and maneouverable in places where there is tree cover, but are fair game for the even quicker martins when caught out in the open. The spars retreated to their speciality habitat. Crows also mob buzzard, even though the buzzard isn't necessarily a direct predator. However, buzzard (and kite) are direct competition. Seeing a buzzard getting fed up with the mobbing is another good sight - a quick 'flip' upside-down, talons skyward and the crow in pursuit beats a hasty retreat.

Rumour from a year or two back was that kite were spreading toward this part of the country. I've not seen one yet, but fingers crossed.
27/09/2013 at 06:17

I often see buzzards,wheeling around , riding the thermals. But it is the mewing sound that attracts attention first.

29/09/2013 at 11:23
Hi, I work in Essex/Suffolk mobile most of the time, I see red kites almost every day on my travels mainly around Braintree, Chelmsford and Stanstead. I love to watch them wheeling about the sky, I get a big thrill every time I see one.
Dennis, Essex.
29/09/2013 at 14:27

When i was on Hoilday in Norfolk, we saw a red kite .we had stop in a lay by near some fishing lakes or rivers and one was flying over head,lovely to see.

29/09/2013 at 22:53

when we lived in Reading we were blessed with red kites wheeling in the sky above our house on a daily basis. It was wonderful & we missed them when we came back to conwy valley in north wales but over the last year we've seen a pair here too on occasion - brilliant!!

30/09/2013 at 16:10
Red Kites are now a common site in the Newbury area. My sister in law's garden is right in the middle of a large area where kites wheel freely and swoop very low. One recently was perched on a pole at the bottom of her garden. They are stunning birds and a joy to watch.
30/09/2013 at 17:57

Yesterday we were eating our Sunday lunch in a riverside pub on the Norfolk Broads, and watching a young hen harrier performing acrobatics on the wind above the marshes 

30/09/2013 at 20:16

We are in Thame and they are a fantastic daily site - not that we should but occasionally put out the odd chicken carcass in winter and its amazing to sit and watch this beautiful bird come down to collect its supper

30/09/2013 at 20:42

Our most common bird in the Chilterns. One day this summer I counted 54 wheeling around the valley below our garden. Very often when I walk up the garden, a kite will fly over me, peering down, and calling out with its squeaky mew. On a sunny afternoon the colours are glorious - just like a gigantic peacock butterfly.

30/09/2013 at 20:58

They are well established in Dumfries & Galloway now. We have them in upper Nithsdale a glorious sight!

01/10/2013 at 20:38

I live in the Berkshire  area and have had as many as 5 soaring or flying really low above my garden.  They are just amazing I love them.

email image
14 messages