Start a new thread

1 to 10 of 10 replies

My gunners which is planted by our pond, has developed a white powdery mildew for the third year in succession. What could be causing this & how can I prevent it recurring please?
will try the advise
confirms my suspicions All the plants on my kitchen windowsill now have this :(
spider mites are an outdoor curse here in reno-the hot dry summers are perfect for them-soft evergreens(alberta spruce)can be killed in amatter of weeks-unfortunately people refuse to believe that they can be controlled and eliminated just by giving a sqirt with the hose whenever you go by-spraying chems is seldom effective
valdel-the way to eliminate powdery mildew is not to grow the plant-the climate and cultural conditions that let it flourish are difficult for gardeners to eliminate-some plants are resistant in some situations some are not

My lemon verbena (Aloysia citrodora) Got this not long ago. Sadly I had to bin both of the plants what I had growing on my window seal in my bed room. But there is always next year. My Aloes and Cyclamen were able to avoid getting it tho, which is good :)

Powdery mildew proliferates in dry summers or in dry conditions. Is the gunnera crowded by other plants and is the soil wet enough to support a large pond-side plant like this?

I have red spider mites in my living room and my kitchen. Have binned the plants and wiped everything down but I suspect they may still be lurking in corners waiting for replacement plants. Is there anything else I can do@

Carol, I suspect your living room is pretty warm and dry....perfect for red spider.  keeping your plants sprayed with water will help deter the mites.

Thanks, I will try that when I get some more plants. You've guessed it, my radiator is right under the window sill, they're just loving it! Why do they always put the radiator there, most of the heat goes out the window. It's the coldest room in the house.