London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
6 messages
20/02/2009 at 21:40
I wonder if your plot was actually the remains of a Roman allotment, they must have grown their veg locally as they didn't have the means that we do to import every thing from abroad,I wonder what they grow most of for their diet must have been quiet differant from ours.
21/02/2009 at 20:31
Legend has it that we have buried Spitfires under our allotments, perhaps like King Arthur they sleep ready to fly again when England is in peril? There is some truth in it because the site in Cowley, Oxford is the remains of Cowley Airfield where metal planes like Spitfires were repaired, unlike the Hurricane which was wood and could be repaired at base. The remaining planes which had been cannibalised for spares were bulldozed and pushed in a hole in the ground. The only formation flying these days is done by the local starlings which can produce a good display. On occasions I have heard the ghostly rumble of perhaps a Merlin engine revving! No it turned out to be some bros with Harley Davidson's in a garage near-by tuning their engines.
23/02/2009 at 18:26
Apparently Roman soldiers would put a leaf of shield sorrel on their tongue to alleviate thirst while marching.
26/02/2009 at 22:17
We have a five year archaeological dig on our allotments in Dorchester on Thames. They can only dig for three weeks a year and they rent the plots they are digging on. We have a Saxon village and a Roman fort under neath our plots. The whole site is a scheduled ancient monument.
27/02/2009 at 09:29
This subject (Roman food in Britain) was to be the basis of my Masters degree, now many years ago. I got sidetracked by a handsome young man and got married instead!! So instead of boring everyone with my thoughts, you can learn more at: http://www.smr.herefordshire.gov.uk/roman/food.htm which has a nice brief article on 'what they ate'. Actually there's loads of information out there and I could spend days following links to yet more links...
28/11/2011 at 18:37
Apparently there's a whole host of Roman remains around here - not too surprising really given Bath's history. No mention of Spitfires though! I wonder what fruit and veg the Romans did eat? I know they introduced loads of herbs onto our little island - and probably quite a few fruits too - figs and peaches perhaps?
email image
6 messages