London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
7 messages
02/08/2013 at 22:17
I have every type of bird visiting my garden because I feed them. got loads of native trees bushes and flowers frogs newts and slowworms butterflies and bee's and hover flies love it here too my garden is for all of these creatures. they are all part of the big picture and with out them life as we know it will end. unfortunately man will continue destroying the earth and all that's in it. how sad that we haven't learned the lesson.
03/08/2013 at 10:06
I have a wildlife garden and it always gives me great pleasure.I do not use chemicals and i do not interfere and the balance is usually fine .I may lose a few things that have been eaten by something but that is a small price to pay for all the beauty and pleasure i get from nature. :-)
03/08/2013 at 12:31
I think what Kaycurtis is saying about Man is true it's all about greed and profit.
03/08/2013 at 19:26
I used a turf cutter on a smallish patch about 1m by 2m and one mower width away from my pond and sowed it with a low wildlife meadow mix I bought from Meadow Mania. It was quite windy in March when I sowed since the garden was too wet to use the turf cutter before the end of March. It looked like it was an utter disaster in May but in end of June, early July it began to flower and looked amazing. It has never been watered or fed and I have just come back from 2 weeks away and found it is still full of flowers though these are different from the ones flowering in July. There are always at least 8-10 bumble bees in this small bed and about 4-5 butterflies which is more than on by buddlia. My garden is very wildlife friendly and won best large wildlife garden in Dorset last year. It is quite large and I have all sorts of things from slugs and snails, rabbits and deer and badgers, to other less destructive wildlife. None of the destructive ones have touched this bed and growing the short meadow mix means that the wind has not knocked it over and even my dog running through it has not damaged it. I am going to dig up more of my lawn in the autumn and add some more meadow mix, adding crocus for even earlier blooms for the bees etc. I will leaving a walking/mower area around it. I would encourage all of you to sow some of this even in a pot on a balcony since the result is so amazing and the wildlife love it.
04/08/2013 at 08:48
One thing I've noticed with using pebbles (mixed sizes, nothing big) as a mulch - ground-dwelling beetles like it as a hiding/hunting place. I'm not advocating using such a mulch as a replacement for all 'organic' mulches, but a small area does appear to offer a new habitat.
23/08/2013 at 13:39
Since the RSPB started 'giving nature a home' something I had been doing since moving here in 2003. Sitting on the patio enjoying the warm evening night air with a full moon & surprise a hedgehog, wow. Keeping our dog indoors I investigated further, not 1 hedgehog but 3 seen, 1 rustling in the bushes, double wow. I was thrilled to bits, not only have I got a family of hedgehogs but a pond full of frogs & toads, Mother nature is doing her bit for me as I've been doing for her. The birds, bees, ladybirds, hoverflies, butterflies & moths have tripled in my garden this year, whilst slugs & snails have thinned right out. Am I pleased, oh ye es!
Now can anyone tell me how to encourage lizards, slow-worms, newts into my garden & pond?

I now feel so confidante about planting cottage garden plants next year that they will NOT be eaten by slugs & snails but will encourage more bees, butterflies, moths, ladybirds, hoverflies & hopefully stag beetles. fingers crossed.
31/08/2013 at 11:10

As I write, the daily hideous screech outside tells me that yet another garden is vanishing under blocks of concrete.  I am very glad for the RSPB's campaign.  We all need to shout a bit louder on this one as the message is not always getting through.

email image
7 messages