London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
9 messages
25/09/2009 at 13:25
Gardening in mild/moist climate of Devon, I noticed rust has arrived along a row of chives I grew this year. I have cut the infected chives down to ground level to avoid it spreading. Similar to Pippa I hope my leeks don't get it too.
25/09/2009 at 15:29
Nothing to do with rust, but I'd appreciate some advice. I was a bit late getting in my early potatoes (due to a broken leg) and found that some were covered in very small white insects - almost like cigarette ash. A friend said it was potato eelworm, but I didn't see any evidence of cysts. Was this because I had been too late digging them up and they'd got past the cyst stage?
25/09/2009 at 16:32
We had he same problem with runner beans this year as Josephine. Grew 'Armstrong' after reading GW reports-lovely beans but plants badly affected by this sooty deposit. They were near a honeysuckle plant. We grew some in pots a distance away and they are OK. Any advice welcome.
26/09/2009 at 13:45
The sooty deposit on the beans sounds like sooty mould, which grows on honey dew, (sticky deposit secreted by aphids) Aphids are quite partial to new growth and flowers on honeysuckle too, so they maybe moved across! It does wash off, but to prevent it in the first place, you need to tackle your aphids!
02/10/2009 at 11:09
dear pippa how can i stop my shitzu ruining my lawn with his wees everywhere
02/10/2009 at 19:47
pippa, not just pest fungi appear in the autumn, what about all the edible ones. i've got some mushroom logs on the go from www.gardeningexpress.co.uk, and i think i am going to have success! can't wait for my first home grown shii-take omlet!
03/10/2009 at 11:32
How do I treat it?
01/11/2009 at 13:18
mushroom-man, I have found another good place to buy mushrooms http://www.floraselect.co.uk. Mandy
28/11/2011 at 18:39
Is rust fungus what I get on my runner beans every year? It is like a brown sooty deposit and makes your hands/clothes really dirty if you touch it. It does not seem to affect anything else.
email image
9 messages