Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Scale insects

I use broad sticky tape to remove scale insects - more efficient than a thumbnail.

Ants farm scale insects, so get rid of the ants and the problem will be reduced. To keep ants off a balcony organically (this may not work in a garden!) stamp on every ant you see. Ants will not continue to send workers if a percentage fail to return. This really works.

• Before using thiacloprid, imidacloprid, acetamocloprid or any other neonicotinoid pesticide, I recommed visiting the Buglife website, to read their report summarising independent research on neonicotinoids. They kill bees & other non-target insects - eg. butterflies etc. Miniscule amounts impair the ability of insect to function resulting inevitably in death. Also, seek out the fact sheets from the US environment agency -you may get a shock! We used to manage without them & can now.
  • control of scale insects needed on a decorative orange tree. Any ideas?
  • I'm needing some advice on clearing up a big problem with scale insects. They have attacked my 2 fuchsias which I had carefully overwintered and was nurturing back indoors until the decent weather came. Also they are all over my sweet pepper plants. A neighbour has advised up-rooting the entire plant and dunking them in a weak solution of Jeyes fluid to eradicate them ? Any other advice greatfully accepted.
  • marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

All you need is a bowl of tepid water, a bag of cotton balls and some marigolds. Sounds simply, it is ! Dip a cotton ball into the water and wash the the devils off - they come off so easy. Repeat the process the following year.

I have a large Acer which had become seriously infested and found this method online. Took about an hour but so worth while. Only noticed a few so far....but they'll not last long, cos they're about to get the same treatment. lol

• Cheers for the advice, I'll try that this afternoon. Seems they have mainly gone for 1 half of both fuchsias, the other halves are flowering away happily. For now....
  • AiiKiiAiiKii Posts: 2

Good advice. Thank you.

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

i always ad washing up liquid to my water when doing this marshmello.. is this not recommended?

• pashpash Posts: 109

bump

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Never heard about adding washing-up liquid to the water. I'd say this was not necessary in my experience. The results were fab...with just water.

• We have a large, established wisteria that is dieing back in places. Scale insects seem to be the cause. We will not be able to 'dunk it in water', so will try the sticky tape method. looks like we will be doing this for the rest of the day!!!!