Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Scented bulbs

i agree they smell great, i have some as well, they flowered in the first week of januray,
i will buy more for next year,
i grow mine on a windowsill from november,

• Yes, Paperwhites are beautiful and remind me of my grandparents who would always have a potful at some point during the winter. However the nose is a personal organ and some people say they smell off burnt plastic.

When homegrown they tend to get quite tall, so it pays not to bring them out into light to early. You should just see the bud appearing and then still they will need some support.
  • I love all perfumed plants, my paperwhites were in flower in Dec and I brought them inside once they flowered a short term but extremely sweet & intense perfume greeted me every morning.

will try growing them in the gravel next year, always used soil until now.
  • Response to Daisy:
    I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment that your preferred choices aren't on this year's Gardens to visit voting list. The list is comprised of gardens that have chosen to participate in our 2-for-1 Gardens to visit scheme. It could be that any gardens absent from the list were invited to participate but declined to do so.
    Best wishes,
    Daniel
    The Gardeners' World web team
  • I planted 5 healthy paperwhite bulbs in gravel, they all grew well and started to produce flower spikes, but only one actually fully developed and opened into lovely flowers, the other all dried up. After reading Adam's comments above, it appears I may have put them somewhere too warm. Does anyone know if this is why they didn't flower, or is there any other reason? I will try again next year!
  • Thanks for responding Daniel. I shall return to the list and vote for my favourite amongst those gardens. By the way, I said 'West Ruston' when in fact the garden is East Ruston. It's still a brilliant garden to visit though, particularly as it is close to Happisburgh which, as we know is gradually being devoured by the sea. (Sat nav is useful to locate it!)
  • I planted some paperwhites in the garden and now realise that they were for indoors. They have sprouted up to around 6".

Will they survive if I pick them up and repot them or should I leave them alone?
  • Reply to Sonia: I'd carefully lift the bulbs and pot them up to bring indoors. This should be quite easy to do, and you'll enjoy their scented flowers in your home at the end of the year.
  • I was hoping to vote for my favourite garden on your site but was disapointed to find that my two favourite were not included in your list. Whilst I understand that the list cannot be completely comprehensive, where were Great Dixter or West Ruston, two amazing and inspirational gardens?