Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Seed potatoes and mice

I got mine from R H S wisley.the early potatoes were from thomson & morgan 2kg sacks problem was that you got a few large ones and tiddly ones, not even half a tray, far from happy.

• I have left mine on a window sill, but there is some kind of grey fur around some of the shoots.as a first time grower i am guessing this isn't right, but could do with some advice.
  • I love growing spuds, can you use those berries on the haulms, they look like tomatoes, do you put each seed in the ground.
  • I got all my seed potatoes at our local garden centre (Busy Bees, Ryde, I.O.W.). I got Kestrel, Charlotte, and Desiree, and have been very pleased with them. They more than filled a seed tray and were very healthy. It looks like yet another reason to be happy that I am living here! The price also compared very favourably with what I'd have paid mail order, and there was no heavy postage to pay either.
  • I am planting Arran Pilot's for the first time this year, having planted Remarka (Organic) Potatoes very successfully each year up till now.

I am concerned about when to plant them as they are First Earlies, and the weather is still pretty cold up here (North of Scotland) going into early April.

I chose Arran Pilot's as I was brought up on Arran and remember hearing years ago there were many different Arran varieties, which someone had cultivated and would love to find out more about who this was and the different Arran varieties that exist.

• Well I've finally ordered my first seed potatoes (Lady Christie). I am aiming to grow them in containers ouside my static caravan. I've never grown my own veg so fingers crossed!

I'm going to grown Tomatoes in my sunny kitchen at home too... Erm, is it wrong to be excited about growing veg?! GW I hold you all responsible! ;D

• I've got my earlies from Marshall's and my main crop, Kerr pink, from Tucker's. Both mail order & both lots are very healthy!
  • I must be lucky cos my local farm shop sells lots of different types of potato both bagged or if you wish you can buy just 3 or 4 to put in buckets. I invested in 6 Kestrel which have already been chitted and planted 2 to a bucket. I don't have enough space for rows of potatoes unfortunately.
  • I bought my seed Potatoes from Hawkins in Dorset.
    Unwins 1.5 kg Kidney & Unwins 1.5 kg majestic @ only £1.74 each. I'm Chitting them ready for a break in the weather to plant them up.
  • I'm new to gardening and have planted some potatoes in bags....I cant remember what type of potato they are, but I have just started to see small shoots appearing. I understand this is when I am meant to cover the shoots and carry on like this until I suppose the bag is full. Its all very hit and miss with me at the moment...but I suppose thats how you learn.
  • I am going (hoping) to grow some potatoes in pots or dustbins this year, I cannot grow them in the garden here as the last time I tried every single potato was full of little holes, slug damage! Has anyone got any tips on how to grow them in large pots or bins! While on the subject of potatoes, while in Calais I bought a bag of potatoes advertised for 'chipping' they were called Adora and true to form, they made the best chips ever...must be the spuds the Belgians use for their world famous 'frites'. They also kept amazingly well, I had a few at the bottom of the potato bin and months later they still looked as fresh without all the roots my other potatoes gain after no more than a week! But, there is no sign of Adora potatoes to be found in England well certainly Wiltshire anyway! Does anyone know how to get hold of them