Start a new thread

21 to 34 of 34 replies

It is far too wet here to plant seed potatoes, unless you're thinking of popping a few into pots in a greenhouse! Sarpo Mira is great, very dense flesh and wonderfully resistant to blight, not my favourite for flavour but certainly has a lot of plus points!
i am growing maris bard under Cloches and have a soil Thermometer the soil is 2.5 at the momement am i right that potatoes start growing at 7.2C 45f in old money. i have 3 bags in greenhouse warming up (no heat in greenhouse) just Checking if i was right jim

Do I really need to chit my seed pots when they arrive,they are not due for about another 3 weeks? Thanks.
I wonder if you can find the time to answer this question please? This year I picked the very first of my new potatoes very early, just to get a taste. I then did something my father taught me many years ago. I replanted the potato, roots. I left them for another month, whilst continuing to use other potatoes as they became ready. When I re-lifted the replants I had a very respectable second crop of potatoes. I just wondered if anyone else does this? Thank you
we are advised to plant seed potatoes the size of an egg. what advice do you give if they vary in size between marbles and cricket balls?
AAAAH, what a lovely feeling to be surrounded by fellow spud lovers! I'm afraid teh garden centre near me does not do online shopping, but there are lots of good websites that do. I reckon that wireworms get noticeably better after 2 yrs of serious growing and cultivating at every opportunity, and pretty well OK after three is you are talking the classic problem you get when you have turned a bit of grassland into a veg plot! In the meantime I'd say concentrate on growing earlies as these are generally lifted before the pests really get a hold. Sweet potatoes, yes! On a half decent year they crop OK and are great fun. In a hot summer the autumn-lifted crop can be great.
hi, I have arran pilot, sharpes express and catriona in bags since feb 10. i put seaweed at the bottom and compost mixed with blood, fish bone,they are 7 inches up already,wonder if they will all tops?
I have got fourty tubers so far, twenty of swift and twenty of kestrel, so i am hoping i have made the right choice, but i want to get more depending on the space permitting, the variety rocket was successful last year so i am tryin these instead, have i made the right choice?
when i buy my potatoes from the garden centre do i plant them right away or leave them in the green house for some reason?