London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
16 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
Icollected my seeds last Sepember and i am pleased to find out how and when to plant them.Many thanks.
24/11/2011 at 15:28
This spring for the first time ever I have started growing some vegies in pots and have a small raised bed with beans, peas and tomatoes. I have just acquired an allotment and as a complete novice I don`t actually know where to start or what to start growing. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
I have just taken all my saved alium seeds out of the airing cupboard. Going to sew them in the next couple of weeks.
HI there, I sent a comment the other month saying how I had grown 2 dozen alliums from seeds I found in the gardens of Queen Victoria,s Osbourn House while on honymoon there. IM sure Prince Charles would be "most amused" . I think his a grand chap. MY point is that I have not seen my comment posted or have I broken your code of conduct?. Kind Regards "Old Greenfingers"
24/11/2011 at 15:29
i like to grow sunflowers but last year i grew hundreds it seems ashame to waste all them seed heads so i thaught is it possible to make sun flower oil from the seeds if so does any one know how to do it thanx andy
great i have two flower heads drying so i will take your advise on how to sow them .very interesting .marshaw.
I too collected Allium Seeds last October and they are in a brown envelope in my posh seed box (very useful Birthday present) when do I sow them and what type of compost please
I have just moved house, nice garden - but too much gravel!!! Will plants and bulbs thrive in gravel, or will I have too remove it all?.
23/03/2012 at 07:31
I broadcast thousands of saved onion seeds last spring and now have a thriving patch (March 22nd 2012), but each plant has six or seven onions tightly attached to each other. Are they actually the same plant? Should I separate them and plant each individually ie treat them as sets, even though they are green-topped? We live in Dorset, near the sea, and winters are very mild, so the onions never lost their green leaves.

I'd really appreciate advice, Yours Robin Dulake
23/03/2012 at 08:55

I'm very fortunate. My alium plants self-set round the mother plant. Maybe you could just try sprinkling some on a small piece of ground and sew some in a pot.  I'm not sure about covering the seeds because mine self set but a light sprinkle of compost over some of the pot may give you the best of both worlds.

24/05/2013 at 08:29
I planted some alium seeds last year and I think they have germinated but not too sure. Do they look like tall grasses when they first appear. I have some that are stronger than grass but just one single tall thin leaf.
Rik
19/07/2013 at 10:10
Hi I am growing an allium for the first time. It flowered for 6 weeks but its starting to dry out now. Can anyone advise me do I still water it or let it dry out and die back. Also how di collect seed ? Can I leave the flower head on or should I cut it back and if so right back to the ground or just remove the head ? Finally do I remove the bulb and replant it next spring or just leavi it alone.
06/09/2013 at 10:34

Sowed my allium seeds about 2 weeks ago - any idea how long they take to germinate?

06/09/2013 at 11:19

I thought I had posted something on sowing Allium seeds, I certainly did on the old Beeb site.

They need a cold  period to germinate so, they ought to germinate in Spring.

Collecting the seed is easy, when the little capsules at the top of the old flower stem begin to open to reveal little black seeds, is the time to collect and sow. Turn the seed head and stem upside down in a paper bag and let the seeds fall out. If they refuse to then you need to split the cpasules and release the seeds that way.

This is the peice I wrote for the Beeb many moons ago.

Sow the seed fresh. It germinates better straight from the plant rather than being dried off.

Cover lightly with grit, gravel or whatever rather than compost.

Sow in a deep pot rather than a seed tray (reasons later).

Leave exposed to weather. They need a period of cold followed by warmth to initiate germination.

When (if?) they germinate do not be in a hurry to p rick them out. This is the reason for deep pot rather than seed tray. They have only one root to begin with and if it is damaged, it dies and a new one has to be produced from the base of the seedling. usually they die.

Feed the seed pot with dilute Baby Bio type stuff, until the leaves go yellow then allow the pot to dry off.

Repotting may be done when they are dormant. Some types never really go dormant so be careful.

I often do not repot until they have had another seasons growth. Remember many of them actually grow in late winter/early spring.

Cannot think of anything else for the moment.

Not as hard as it seems.

06/09/2013 at 11:24

Thanks Bergill - Oops - have put in trays - may see if I can move into pots as they havent germinated yet.  Will also put them outside rather than pamper them in my conservatory!

06/09/2013 at 11:55

tucker2010: http://www.piteba.com/eng/index_eng.html seems to be the machine for the job, but I found that via instructables and the write-up says you have to have black oil sunflower seeds not the munchy kind, so grow from bird food (25kg for £42, 2.25kg for £6.25), not from a tiny packet from the health food shop (500g for £3.19).

The manufacturer's website says minimum 25% oil and this page says that includes striped sunflower seeds ... barely ... as well as black sunflower seeds and also peanut, safflower and nyjer.

email image
16 messages