Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Self-Heal is a useful plant. It has a long history in herbal medicine, particularly for home use. The leaves and flowers are both edible and are lovely in salads. The leaves make a refreshing herbal tea. I wish we could promote these useful plants rather than seek always to destroy them. The world would be a better place.
its sooooo pretty in my lawn...I don't know why you would want to get rid of it?!
Totally agree with Amanda_Plant. Self-Heal is a wonderful, attractive plant, much more attractive than boring green, flowerless lawns.

My front lawn is packed with it, much to the horror of my very fussy next door neighbour.

One of my favourite lawn wild flowers loved by bumblebees. I value the flowery biodiversity of my lawn rather than destroy with toxic pesticides. Come on Gardener's World, get with the times - love nature, work with it, don't destroy it. The easiest way to have a beautiful flowering lawn is not to use weedkillers, not to feed, remove the clippings and let nature back in the garden. Stop supporting the pesticide manufacturers.

I am wondering whether to stop trying to control self-heal in my lawn but am worried that if I leave it there it will spread into other areas of the garden. Is this likely to happen? The other complication is that it's a microclover lawn (microclover + grass seed mix) This is styled as an 'eco lawn' as the clover inputs nitrogen into the soil so no need for fertilisers. If however I stop trying to control the self-heal eventually I will have little clover or grass as self-heal swamps both. Any ideas?

I have self-heal in our back lawn (along with white clover and others) - it hasn't spread from the lawn to the veg patch, the herb bed or the wild bit behind the pond.  I'd leave it alone - the bees love it