London (change)
Today 18°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
7 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
Self-Heal is a useful plant. It has a long history in herbal medicine, particularly for home use. The leaves and flowers are both edible and are lovely in salads. The leaves make a refreshing herbal tea. I wish we could promote these useful plants rather than seek always to destroy them. The world would be a better place.
14/05/2013 at 09:25
its sooooo pretty in my lawn...I don't know why you would want to get rid of it?!
31/07/2014 at 15:19
Totally agree with Amanda_Plant. Self-Heal is a wonderful, attractive plant, much more attractive than boring green, flowerless lawns.
31/07/2014 at 16:04

My front lawn is packed with it, much to the horror of my very fussy next door neighbour.

14/04/2015 at 23:59
One of my favourite lawn wild flowers loved by bumblebees. I value the flowery biodiversity of my lawn rather than destroy with toxic pesticides. Come on Gardener's World, get with the times - love nature, work with it, don't destroy it. The easiest way to have a beautiful flowering lawn is not to use weedkillers, not to feed, remove the clippings and let nature back in the garden. Stop supporting the pesticide manufacturers.
17/07/2015 at 17:32
I am wondering whether to stop trying to control self-heal in my lawn but am worried that if I leave it there it will spread into other areas of the garden. Is this likely to happen? The other complication is that it's a microclover lawn (microclover + grass seed mix) This is styled as an 'eco lawn' as the clover inputs nitrogen into the soil so no need for fertilisers. If however I stop trying to control the self-heal eventually I will have little clover or grass as self-heal swamps both. Any ideas?
17/07/2015 at 17:35

I have self-heal in our back lawn (along with white clover and others) - it hasn't spread from the lawn to the veg patch, the herb bed or the wild bit behind the pond.  I'd leave it alone - the bees love it

email image
7 messages