London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
12 messages
05/01/2010 at 19:28
It is you there isn't it? All this talk of vegetables is slightly worrying!
06/01/2010 at 13:23
i grew my own for the first time last year and really enjoyed it, cant wait to start again.starting onion and carrot seeds in the greenhouse this week! it does get very addictive and has the added bonus of keeping you fit!it must be a sign of getting older.....
06/01/2010 at 19:20
James - just when did you post your blog? My garden disappeared under 12" of snow yesterday & now my winter veggies are unreachable! Having ordered this year's veg seeds at the weekend, could be a while before I can do anything with them .... what was that about global warming?
08/01/2010 at 09:31
well im itching to get in the potting shed, all my veg has disappeared too (underneath the snow)so havent got a clue how anything is doing. want it to thaw out now so we can get started!theres still loads of stuff you can get going on, i have seedlings in the heated greenhouse whatever the weather so its not so bad.
11/01/2010 at 21:27
i have my first greenhouse arriving this week and i want to start growing straight away but dont really know what to grow or where to start any ideas or books i could read for beginners?
12/01/2010 at 22:05
hi lorie, i found the magazine 'grow your own' really helpful, its a monthly issue with great advice, i saved all relevant pages to refer back to, also a book from whsmith called growing vegetables by tony biggs. hope these are some use to you, good luck!!!
13/01/2010 at 21:50
hi all frank here from ireland yere weather is bad over ,saw it on tv not as bad here.but still not nice started setting some seeds today, inside.parsley,cauliflower ,early lettuces
14/01/2010 at 12:40
Enjoyed the comment about using neighbours gardens. There are no allotment sites where I live so I asked my next door neighbour! I keep his front garden tidy and cut his hedge and in return, he lets me use his back garden for veg. No worries about security. My tools are in my shed and I just hop over the fence!
23/01/2010 at 15:18
Wow! Your blog has just given me a lead to finding folk who might want to help us in our wonderful vegetable garden in return for a share of the produce. We had a wonderful barter arrangement last summer with a young French couple who sadly have now returned to France. I shall explore Landshare as your blog suggests - thank you!
18/03/2011 at 15:27
hi whats up
28/11/2011 at 18:40
In Bristol we apparently have something called gardenshare.blogspot.com, a local community group, who do this sort of thing too. Great for others to do it. The sofa and the chocolates are too tempting for us-after all dark chocolate is not that fattening. Please grow lots of ornamentals too. All this talk of veg crops is so worthy Robert Webber HegartyWebberPartnership (The effete garden designers)
06/01/2014 at 21:48
I tried to set up a garden share scheme in Hampshire but found only one garden got matched up in over a year so gave up now as found it demoralising the lack of genuine interest. Existing allotment people aren't interested as they have more than enough with an allotment & people who have yet to discover the joys of GYO seem a bit scared to try. All the garden groups I've contacted seem full of people who love organising, speaking & trips but when it comes to actually doing anything constructive for any length of time these are a rarity indeed ...! But I always find plenty of lovely stories on the internet.
email image
12 messages