London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
21 to 23 of 23 messages
10/03/2009 at 11:22
Here in the Midlands we are seeing more shield bugs every year, though sadly not too many of the very useful ladybirds. The shield bugs are damaging my plants and I have found it necessary to destroy some of the worst offenders, but take care if you do squash one - the smell is very unpleasant. Do they have any natural predators?
12/03/2010 at 01:04
I lived in NZ for some years and the Shieldbugs - also known as Stinkbugs - there are an absolute menace to many plants, particularly Runner Beans. They attack the pods when they are a few inches long and suck them dry. I have seen few here since coming home and squash them between two leaves when I do. They are very prolific breeders, stink when squashed and - certainly in NZ - come in several colours which interbreed. They can be very pretty but are a real menace.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
I've never noticed any damage from shield bugs, or even their smell, but I can confirm that they taste absolutely disgusting. One was sitting on a raspberry that I popped into my mouth last summer, nasty burning taste that stayed in the mouth for ages. The bug survived, I now look before I eat!
email image
21 to 23 of 23 messages