Start a new thread

21 to 23 of 23 replies

Here in the Midlands we are seeing more shield bugs every year, though sadly not too many of the very useful ladybirds. The shield bugs are damaging my plants and I have found it necessary to destroy some of the worst offenders, but take care if you do squash one - the smell is very unpleasant. Do they have any natural predators?
I lived in NZ for some years and the Shieldbugs - also known as Stinkbugs - there are an absolute menace to many plants, particularly Runner Beans. They attack the pods when they are a few inches long and suck them dry. I have seen few here since coming home and squash them between two leaves when I do. They are very prolific breeders, stink when squashed and - certainly in NZ - come in several colours which interbreed. They can be very pretty but are a real menace.
I've never noticed any damage from shield bugs, or even their smell, but I can confirm that they taste absolutely disgusting. One was sitting on a raspberry that I popped into my mouth last summer, nasty burning taste that stayed in the mouth for ages. The bug survived, I now look before I eat!