London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 16°C
15 messages
01/01/2007 at 00:00
Pippa - where can I buy the sieve that you are using as mine is finer and takes ages to sieve anything? I agree with your comments about the seed compost. I also find large lumps in mine and will try B & Q as someone suggested.
07/02/2008 at 18:57
I know exactly what you mean about rubbish in the compost. I have even found half a biro in a bag from one of the brand leaders, and the compost was lousy too. My best compost is that sold in Wicks shops, its so good I enjoy running my fingers through it!!
08/02/2008 at 17:20
I agree with you Pippa, I have used Levingtons Multi-purpoose compost for years and years, but like you I find wood chippings, twigs added in the ingredients. though I must add it does not seem to have an adverse effect on the seedlings.
11/02/2008 at 20:24
I bought some grow bags this weekend and was shocked to find glass in there. I was crumbling the lumps in my hand and the piece of glass nearly stuck into my finger. Also in the mix was those green garden tie wraps which I didn't mind as much. I have been wearing my gardening gloves ever since while dealing with it.
12/02/2008 at 04:34
I've just bought a compost with added John Innes after a bad lumpy, woody experience with an own brand make. The new compost is so beautiful, it's softer, easier to sow in and richer to touch, so i've learnt with compost as with most things in life you get what you pay for!!! PS it was buy two bags and get a third free, what a bargain!!
12/02/2008 at 14:34
John Innes is good, but it contains peat, which is a no no for me. Has anyone tried any of the coir based composts? They're supposed to be great for seedlings.
15/02/2008 at 13:30
i use j arther bowers, it's lovely.
15/02/2008 at 15:46
I use clover multi-purpose compost and I have never found any lumps or twigs in it and 3 bags for 10 pounds. I find this very reasonable.
11/03/2008 at 12:14
Interesting to hear all the comments about brands and quality, and another glass person too. Appalling, but good to hear that some of those own brands are proving good, the sieve was from a local garden centre, try a good centre and you should find them at this time of year.
31/03/2008 at 17:06
Hi Mick, you can find out more about growing potatoes in a container by watching one of our new video projects. Try planting potatoes in a bin or growing potatoes in a bag. Hope this helps, Kate
03/05/2008 at 14:13
I had a bonfire with the scraps of wood I found in my last 3 bags of compost from B&Q, with a bit of patience I could have held a barbecue.
13/04/2010 at 19:39
I'm having two trees taken down in a few weeks and I can keep their chippings if I wish. I have a large garden, and a thread-bare lawn (due to my footballing sons!). Any ideas what I can do with the chippings? Is it true that making a mulch with my compost may take the nitrogen out of my soil?
30/08/2010 at 15:47
[...] It’s interesting when you work with someone in a professional capacity how quickly you pick up tricks and ideas from their field of expertise. I have definitely come away with more confidence and will be looking at my garden in a new way next year, when it is completely redesigned and replanted……. but Lila, as yet, I still don’t sieve my compost! [...]
07/10/2010 at 19:14
After been advised by some gardening friends that Humax compost was the best as that is what they used I bought 20 x 75L bags. what rubbish it was every bag had bits of wood, glass and general rubbish in it, I complained to the makers of Humax compost and was given replacement for all 20 bags and got be keep the 20 that I already had. there excuse was that the milling process was not done right and I was not the only person that had complained about it.
28/11/2011 at 18:30
Have you tried B&Q Seed and Cutting Compost? I found this to be the best last season almost totally lump free! and at 2 bags for £10.00 a bargain.
email image
15 messages