London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
17/03/2010 at 18:25
i saw the first bumble bee of the year on sunday on one of my patio pots obviously enjoying the first warm weather fo the year, it was mainly black and large but with a small amount of orange at the base of it's tail.
18/03/2010 at 10:59
I have a cold but thought a walk up the garden would help the stuffiness and am I glad I did - the birds were singing at the top of their voices,the smaller daffodils have all burst into bloom to join the snowdrops and crocuses, bumblebees here and there, a young squirrel scurrying away as he is still wary of me, the vegetable garden beautifully friable making me wish my temperature would go down. I love the spring.
18/03/2010 at 12:52
Not with us yet on Bodmin moor! Yesterday was the first day in 10 with no frost. Really looking forward to the spring now. that said the garlics are coming through and broad beans are still living in teh cold frame!:) Doug www.wellrooted.co.uk
18/03/2010 at 20:08
Out in the garden, the sun shining, bulbs erupting everywhere, most of the climbers showing signs of life, the buds on some of the azaleas just showing colour, its happening, Spring is almost upon us at last. I was attracted by the bees making the most of the warmth and harvesting nectar from the crocus, when a large Queen bumble bee passed close by and settled on a shrub. Having studied it a bit closer, I could see that it didn't look like the usual ones seen in my garden, so I legged it indoors and grabbed a book on British insects. After a good hour of darting about the borders, I think that I have identified two Bumble Bees, Bombus Terrestris and Bombus Lapidarius. The frogs have been busy also, as one pond is full of spawn, another batch of helpers for the summer slug patrol
19/03/2010 at 08:42
Tried digging in my garden last Sunday and the fork bounced off the ground. Snow just about disappeared. Please think about us in the magazine we are at least a month behind
20/03/2010 at 17:19
In the last few days of lovely warm weather the honey bees have been out eagerly collecting nectar to stock up their diminshed supplies. They love the ivy flowers, although I have been advised that they need extra water to convert the nectar as ivy is rather crystalised. I put extra bowls of water out, and my daughter who keeps bees puts trays of gravel with water so the bees don't fall in and drown.
21/03/2010 at 14:39
Serendipity in the front garden today - the aubrieta is flowering and as the forsythia and flowering quince are late there will be artistic colour schemes I do not usually have. My first butterfly this year was a peacock at the spring flowers in my "Persian Runner" which promises to be beautiful. The daffodils are already splendid.
21/03/2010 at 23:13
done some work in the garden today,tidying and a bit of planting.I've not been able to do a lot due to a back problem but I have really enjoyed it and took my time.It's good to see some real sign of spring,the crocus look brilliant in the sun,the birds singing and blue skys is just what we all need.hope this dry weather lasts a bit longer.
22/03/2010 at 11:03
Found two lily beetles on my early flowering iris although the leaves have only just broken through - had hoped that all the snow and low temperaturs would have killed them off after being plagued by them last year on my lilies.
22/03/2010 at 12:38
The snowdrops have been out for a while in south wales and the blue bells are starting to emerge in places... and as reported in other posts, the crocuses are in full bloom. This winder seem to have lasted for ages with the early freeze and snow fall before and after christmas... hope the summer does the same.
25/03/2010 at 10:53
The weather has been so mild in Bristol that grape hyacinths and pink forget-me-nots have added their colour to the wonderful show of daffodils and primulas. At last the forsythias are in full bloom although some shrubs like the buckthorn are late this year, which makes me worry for the brimstone butterfly.
25/03/2010 at 17:24
Help! something is eating my daff's
25/03/2010 at 18:46
I have found five dead frogs on the grass near my small pond, very damaged and their stomach very bloated. WHY IS THIS? BETTALL
27/03/2010 at 08:43
Bettall, take a look at www.froglife.org, it may provide some answers, and even if it doesn't, it is a very informative site, well worth a visit.
27/03/2010 at 17:09
Just been out in the garden and noticed I have tulips out in bud ready to open!! Is this normal for March?? Can't understand whats happening this year!! Anyone else have tulips flowering now?
27/03/2010 at 22:30
It’s now officially Spring! March 20th marked the official Spring Equinox but as a gardener I tend to wait for Mother Nature and I can say, according to the garden flora and fauna, Spring has most definitely sprung. The plants in the garden and nursery are looking much happier now and are enjoying the warmer weather and longer daylight hours. The perennials which never fail to amaze me are pushing up tender green growth from under the bare soil. After a very long wait I have daffodils in flower. The vibrant yellow is enough to cheer even the grumpiest gardener. Suddenly there is new life everywhere. I have been watching the bees buzzing groggily around the garden foraging for nectar from the early flowers. The birds have been singing for weeks and are busy collecting bits of moss and twigs from around the garden. With Spring I have been busy sowing seed in the greenhouse, it’s actually been warm enough to germinate tomatoes! I have also been busy pricking out thousands of Dierama plants. The strong seedlings have already started to form bulbs and look exactly like fresh baby spring onions. The Greenhouse has a lovely sweet, fresh,green, mossy smell which I wish I could bottle. There is new growth everywhere and the promise of a wonderful year in the garden.
30/03/2010 at 08:47
Here in Central Scotland we have a winter wonderland and all my emerging bulbs are buried beneath several inches of soft snow. The compensation is the vast numbers of birds we have on the feeders, especially the siskins, redpolls, various tits, especially the pretty long-tailed tits which seem to prefer the fat balls, and the usual garden birds.
16/04/2010 at 14:47
there seems to be alot of bees around this year; I found 3 in my bedroom in 2 days! i think thats a good sign...
03/05/2010 at 18:34
How can I take a cutting of a pieris forest flame any ideas?
03/08/2010 at 06:35
Your post is really sweet. It actually brought back alot of childhood memories for me. (I have fond memories of walking through my grandmother's garden as a child) Thanks again Aanee xxx http://www.myflowerdelivery.ie
1 to 20 of 21 messages