London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
6 messages
24/06/2009 at 07:26
I am mightily impressed by the beetle - it looks like something I once made in metal work at school.
24/06/2009 at 07:57
And there was me thinking banksias were named after the street artist!
24/06/2009 at 08:28
I knew Rosa banksia lutea was not named in honour of the Bristol artist but I have just planted one in his honour in my Bristol garden - an anonymous thank you for giving us a free art show in the museum. Who knows whether his real name is Banks or if his first work was on the river bank?
30/06/2009 at 10:47
I have Photinia that was a mass of white bloom - I assume to be the female of the plant- last week it was coverd in bees-3or 4 different types - too many to count.Can anyone advise - should I now cut it back as the flowers are dying.Would like to see the same effect next year- in view of the shortage of bees.
09/07/2009 at 21:25
No need to cut it back unless it is too big for your garden. Enjoy.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
James, just to add an entomological twist, Banks also has several insects named after him. These include an exquisite golden leaf beetle, Chrysolina banksi. No exotic this, though. It is a British species, albeit not a very common one. It feeds on black horehound, Ballota nigra. I saw one near the Thames Barrier only a few days ago. http://www.kaefer-der-welt.de/chrysolina__banksi.htm
email image
6 messages