Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

Talkback

Talkback: Siting a greenhouse

If you set your greenhouse on slabs, make sure the upper surface isn't 'riven' as that lets water drain in whenever it rains!

Jump to latest post

1 to 8 of 8 replies

If you set your greenhouse on slabs, make sure the upper surface isn't 'riven' as that lets water drain in whenever it rains!
flowering rose

and if not even and set secure ,youll find they lift and like me you ll trip over.

I have outbuilding running North/South and want to use the West facing wall as the back of a "Half Greenhouse" I want to erect. It is always very light there but in the height of the Summer the Sun does not "Get Onto It " 'til at least Midday I only want to grow Summer Produce in it, do you suitable ?
Although the article about positioning a greenhouse was helpful, it doesn't say about placing it in the sun, shade or a combination. Where I am proposing to put mine is in full sun all year more or less. Is this OK?
Blue Onion

Depends on what you want it for, I think.  Just getting your seedlings started, then leaving empty the rest of the year?  Growing on tomatoes, melons, etc over the summer?  Overwintering plants?  

I saw one somewhere that was cleverly positioned near a deciduous tree, spring and winter were full sunlight.. but during the hottest part of summer it had afternoon dappled shade.  

Advertisement

Hostafan1

I'd have it in full sun. You can always add shade, but you can never "add" sun.

daveandtrish1967

We have just erected a 12ftx8ft greenhouse on our newly acquired allotment ,are there any such thing as plans for the best way to utilise the space ,it's a great space in a sunny position and runs east west with the 12ft wall facing directly south , it's the first greenhouse we have had and would appreciate any help with where to put work benches for potting up etc,etc   

Regards, David and Trish

I use Coolglass shading during the summer months, does an excellent job, of reducing the intense rays of the sun, and can be wiped off with a dry cloth before the dark days appear.