London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
13 messages
01/05/2014 at 18:18
What About snails? Nematodes don't work? any other biological control?
01/05/2014 at 19:16
I'm afraid that after many years of war on slugs and snails I have finally concluded that a late night walk with a saltcellar is the only answer. No need to be messy - just a second of seasoning works wonders!
Unless you fancy escargot for supper? Alternatively if I am aware that I have a good frog/toad population by my pond I may move a few - not too big - snails to give them a good and easy supper.
01/05/2014 at 20:16
A good stamp of the foot on a snail make's you fell better,
02/05/2014 at 14:38
Yes its annoying those vegetarians are mighty hungry and are out in force. What a problem and how to solve it. On one hand one feels guilty about killing the poor things ,by putting down pelts we are killing the wild life so we are told. I have found there is no one way as fast as you dispose of them there back and the birds cant keep up. When I find snail eggs I feed them to the fish and try allsorts of devices to stop the them until the end of the season and then then they go forth and multiply a lot more!
02/05/2014 at 15:23
I had a similar problem last month and just popped out three tins filled with beer and in a few days had three tins filled with inebriated to death X-alcoholic slugs. No snails though... but I don't seem to have many of them. My plants and veg patch are so far in good health. It may work for you too...
02/05/2014 at 19:17

tried that too! the only thing that did work for awhile was a spray of garlic I made (I don't know why)it worked for bigger plants.

08/05/2014 at 18:58
What do snail eggs look like?
12/05/2014 at 19:43

Little white balls of jelly

19/05/2014 at 20:37

They say this copper tape is good as it is supposed to give the slugs an electric shock, this a new one on me, but if it works, would copper electric wire or copper pipe do the same job, it is not that you are sticking one end onto the power supply.

23/05/2014 at 03:06
you have to laugh, funny how slugs don't bother with weeds but put a new plant in the garden the slugs will have devoured it by morning, we seem to be fighting a loosing battle some of it is because most people can't be bothered to kill them off.
31/05/2014 at 00:42

I find wood ash around base of plant seems to deter, its"s working for my hostas so far. Last year I tried garlic wash, copper tape, eggshells, to no avail, fingers crossed , hope this works

07/06/2014 at 08:49

I tried slug wool pellets before going away on holiday , at the allotment several plants disappeared but where I laid a perimeter of them around the celery , these were untouched! Never had a problem with slugs at home but the allotment seems to be slug City Central ! 

14/09/2014 at 17:56
valrobbo wrote (see)

They say this copper tape is good as it is supposed to give the slugs an electric shock, this a new one on me, but if it works, would copper electric wire or copper pipe do the same job, it is not that you are sticking one end onto the power supply.

I'm making a new vegetable garden out of part of a former pasture, the beds are edged with 6" x 1" boards and are 12' x 4', previous experience with an allotment has taught me that grass paths, although looking pretty, are the main source of hiding for slugs and snails so I have sprayed off the paths between my beds, laid old carpet down and am now covering this with a good layer of bonfire ash. Molluscs hate ash because it is caustic. It also deters weeds re-appearing. As another defence, I've begged some scrap copper wire from an electrical contractor mate, stripped out the copper and stapled it to the top edge of my boards. The wire itself is not very effective but, schoolboy chemistry comes into play, if you wrap a bit of tin or lead round one end of the wire and push both ends into a lemon which you can bury at the edge of the bed, you set up a mini-electric fence which lasts for ages and keeps the slimy brutes at bay (you do of course need to also eradicate any residents already in the beds but nematodes seem to do the trick for a one-off application)

Steve

email image
13 messages