London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
41 to 60 of 74 messages
20/09/2012 at 22:58
Not sure it's wise to dig up delphiniums for the winter. Have you tried copper rings? Bit of copper pipe bent round base of plant. For me it works well.
16/10/2012 at 16:05
I had the green variety for many years then it disappeared.At the time it was very good ,flowerd well and divided well.must get another,red this time.
10/12/2012 at 12:26
Unfortunately one of my potted Hellebore Niger plants proved irresistable to the slugs this yr. It's just about starting to regrow.

I did however discover that crusts of soya/wholegrain type breads proved to be slug magnets! Put some down for the birds & everytime ended up going out & collecting loads of slugs!Better if damp/wet btw. J.
01/01/2013 at 17:07

They don't seem to like antirrhinums either! Aren't nematodes pretty terrible for the slugs? I use limestone chipping paths round my vegetable patch and they don't like crossing the chippings. 

Lyn
02/01/2013 at 10:50

They didnt seem to eat my penstemon.

02/01/2013 at 16:57

some good ideas here of things to try

02/01/2013 at 16:57

don't worry super slug is on its way,will eat all English snails and then.......

03/01/2013 at 04:26

I had a terrible problem with slugs and snails last year, they devoured alot of my plants to oblivion. This year I am ready for them. I have bought a collection of slug traps, 16m of copper tape to go round pots and also to put a strip around a section of  old plastic cola bottle and sink into soil around new plants, will use garlic infused water and coffee grounds aswel as crushed egg shells over some areas. If this dont get them then I will try dynamite..

03/01/2013 at 23:52

I have read several times that French Marigolds and Nasturtiums inbetween your crops work to deter slugs from eating them, also in the greenhouse it's said that they deter aphids, white fly and black fly from tomato's and peppers. I have bought some French Marigold's so I will be giving them a try

04/01/2013 at 11:00

I am not too sure that we can win the battle.  This year, because the ground has been so waterlogged, I have come face to face with them crawling across my windows, eating the Wisteria over the garage door, on the very top of my Runner Bean poles and even at the top of a Cucumber plant in my greenhouse. They are very resourseful! We humans still enforce hosepipe bans and tolerate being flooded out. Do we ever build more reservoirs upstream to collect and supply our water as required? NO.

I don't remember snails when I was little, here in the Pennines. I would have remembered, because I have never, ever picked a worm up again since my mother rescued half a worm from my mouth when I was at that age! If there had been snails I would have been terrified of them, too. But - when we lived in the South in the 70s Our little son collected snails from our garden. It was the first time that I had seen them. We didn't have them on the allotment - just rabbits!

When we returned to the north in the 80s I noticed snails here up to about 300feet, but none in our garden at 600feet. Now they have certainly climbed. Is this actually climate change? Another thing - it is now fashionable to grow in raised beds and not bother digging. If you dig you will uncover masses of snail eggs - little shiny pearls that look as if they should be decorating a bunch of cup cakes! So we do not remove them at source. I once attended the most wonderful lecture by Chris Beardshaw and he informed us that adult snails look after their eggs by returning to them and covering them with secretions to keep them soft. If we kill mummy and daddy, babies' shells harden and the snails start to eat and grow, and the population explodes! Have you also noticed that they hang out in gangs under plants that they don't eat e.g. Bergania, Cyclamen, Francoa - but so does my fat, resident frog!

Lyn
05/01/2013 at 10:50

I have plenty in my 960ft above garden, slugs with attitude at altitude.

I didn't have a problem as I used nematodes, but it was expensive, £60.00 last year, but then apparently the country ran out of them! 

I cant understand how they claim to breed in the slug and then claim to only last 6 weeks.

I am just going to get plants they dont like, plent suggested here.

05/01/2013 at 21:32

Massive amount of geranium (Cranesbill) varieties. Never touched by slugs.

05/01/2013 at 22:22
06/01/2013 at 11:58
Pauline01UK wrote (see)

I have read several times that French Marigolds and Nasturtiums inbetween your crops work to deter slugs from eating them, also in the greenhouse it's said that they deter aphids, white fly and black fly from tomato's and peppers. I have bought some French Marigold's so I will be giving them a try

No! Slugs love Marigold flowers and love Nasturtiums. What you are doing is using a sucidide plan - sacrificing one plant to save another. It does not exactly work as you are attracting slugs to the plants you want to save with a plant with a stronger scent, so you end up with slugs on both.

06/01/2013 at 12:04
Mrs. Little Bush wrote (see)

I am not too sure that we can win the battle.

True. I assiduously kept slugs off my Hostas, Hollyhocks and the like this spring and summer. The Hollyhock got rust and the rest were eaten by Moth caterpillars in autumn. So I have learned to live with the odd leaf being eaten, there is no thing as perfect and you will drive yourself mad in trying!

06/01/2013 at 19:03

If this has already been said then I do apologise.  I consistantly use crushed up egg shells around the base of hostas and this works very well.  I don't like slug pellets and although the picture of my Nan bashing a load of slugs with the garden spade is funny, I would rather her not do it! 

06/01/2013 at 21:48

Hi Blairs, I'm not going to plant any marigolds near the veg that I plant in the yard, (In what bit of soil I have, which is approx 6ft by 5ft)  I am just going to have a few in the greenhouse to deter aphids, black fly and white fly because I had problems with those last year.

Because I have such a small plot of soil I didn't have a lot of problems with slugs last year, thankfully!  allthough there was some tiny ones in the celery along with several snails of which I removed promptly

09/02/2013 at 12:14

Thanks for the many lists and comments, that has got the garden sorted, I will grow dahlias, delphiniums, hostas and maigolds in my greenhouse, with the door shut, and if they trespass, they will find slug pellets. SORRY.  

09/02/2013 at 20:56

have you tried nematodes? they worked for me 100%

10/02/2013 at 18:39

Second-hand info, but I shall try it! A friend told me she was puzzled by the lack of slugs in her garden . Last year, to boot! Then she became friendly with the new neighbour, an Asian lady  who said it was due to the very large number of garlic plants that she grows next door to my friend. Apparently her garden is full of flowers, the garlic just pops up in between, so it doesn't look ugly. She cooks loads of the green leaves , not waiting for bulbs to form. So I see no need to buy expensive garlic to experiment with this: I'm going to pop supermarket cloves all over the place and see what happens. Anyone else trid this?  

41 to 60 of 74 messages