London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
61 to 74 of 74 messages
10/02/2013 at 19:17

i heard that the garlic works very well, so i will be trying this , if someone ever comes up with one item to keep them away they would make a fortune, but i agree slug pellets are not the way to go, i am lucky i have a toad in the garden so hopefully he will performe for his residental stay ?

16/03/2013 at 22:04
Brilliant info very much appreciated
07/04/2013 at 22:44
I grow my hostas in old chimney pots keep them off the ground they look great
07/04/2013 at 23:52

It seems the battle is starting again, I have just picked off a green caterpillar from a surviving geranium in the raised flower bed this afternoon.  Also slugs are starting to crawl out from under folliage, etc.  When I find a slug in its shell I chuck it on the lawn and the crows then pick it up and proceed to bash it on the roof of my house.  I dont know whether to like crows or not as they make a racket and can damage the tiles.  Maybe the best thing is to grow plants and flowers the slugs dont like, such as Flag Irises, Bergena, rock roses, etc.  But they will eat anything given the chance.  I am going to put lots of tins containing beer around the place and drown the pests.

19/07/2013 at 11:22
I grow low slug-attracting plants such as hostas in hanging baskets or clay pots - best if sited on rough gravel. Cover the surrounding soil surface with lots of scratchily off-putting mulch, like crushed eggshells.
20/09/2013 at 07:53
My can of WD40 has pictures of uses for it, one of them being spray round the outside of plant pots to prevent slugs, (and I'm guessing snails, too,) climbing up them.
I haven't put it to the test, but lets face it, the smell alone would put anything off coming anywhere near! Hmmm, wonder if it works as well as mothballs do against my cats using the pots as litter trays......
20/09/2013 at 08:22

I love the smell of WD40 

I have more snails than slugs in this new garden so I chuck 'em over the fence into the road and let them take their chances with the traffic 

If I'm feeling kind I put them in the compost bin though!

21/09/2013 at 20:51
i had a slug problem, then i got two chickens, no more slugs ; >
13/06/2014 at 14:47
In slug control you suggest sweet bran, what is this and where can you buy it please?
13/06/2014 at 15:45
In this artical you mention Sweet Bran as a slug/snail control, what exactly is sweet bran and where would you get it please?
Edd
13/06/2014 at 15:58

Raw oats and bran. Can be obtained from most supermarkets and health food shops. Slugs love it and get bloated and dehydrated. This will kill them or slow them down enough for the other animals to eat them. Only any good when dry though.

13/06/2014 at 17:17

I bought a calla lily..it was gorgeous...planted it out and low and behold the bulb was totally annihilated by Sid the Slug, pretty peeved...the lily cost me a few bob...

ANYWAY on a positive note...COSMOS, MARGERITES (not sure how to spell this) do well, i havent had any slimey slug probs with these...

13/06/2014 at 17:47

I have a head torch yes a torch that is attached to your head by a thick piece of rubber band. My husband thinks I'm mad (which I am) when I get 'tooled up' with my torch, a large spoon and a jam jar half full of salt. The beauty of the torch is that you have both hands free to hunt the slug/snails and pop them in your jar. I go out when it gets dark and just collect them . Simples.  I did once scare the life out of my neighbour tho when I popped my head over the fence to say hello with my head torch lit. I wont tell you what her response was. 

13/06/2014 at 18:03

Hehehehe....

email image
61 to 74 of 74 messages