London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
9 messages
01/01/2008 at 00:00
11/08/2008 at 18:08
Hi You are so lucky to have an hedgehog in your garden, mine is overrun with slugs and I am hoping somebody would give me an hedgehog.Please anybody has one to give away?
12/08/2008 at 08:48
Lucky you having a hedgehog on your allotment . My neighbour saw a couple of these lovely creatures in our front garden one night , and as I feed he birds in the morning , perhaps there is still some food left for them . I hope so as I do not like to put food out at night as I do not want to encourage rats!!I expect with all the rain we have had this month there will be plenty of slugs for them in my garden.
12/08/2008 at 15:23
encourage hedgehogs by always leaving a supply of fresh water and a small amount white meat based pet food or cat biscuits (never anything fish based). also dried grass/leaves etc for nesting material, even a rough hibernation box against a sheltered spot or under shed/compost heap. check out for more info.
12/08/2008 at 21:39
I think it's great that you have left the hedgehog on your allotment. we have a small pond in our garden which has about 2 dozen frogs that are great for keeping the slugs down.can you give me any advice on what i can make at home that will kill or stop aphids
13/08/2008 at 21:03
My children think i'm mad! But every other night after dark, with torch and bag. My husband and I go slug searching. The first week we started this we collected and disposed of over 100 slugs! This idea was suggested by a nursery that grows Hosta's. I can confirm that our Hosta's and bedding plants have remained in full contact with their leaves since the start of nightly regime...
20/08/2008 at 21:33
Im so glad you didnt hurt them!! im a vet and a keen gardner and i feel so sad when people hurt animlals it makes me cry!! Thankyou for not harming them!! Is there any spray or cheap method to stop all animals like:cabbage whites , slugs , snails off without harming them like a smell they dont like??
04/09/2008 at 16:14
Try soaking rhubarb leaves in water until they rot (and smell foul) water brassicas with this concotion and it keeps away most pests.
28/11/2011 at 18:36
It's good to hear of another allotment holder who is trying to respect wildlife as well as growing food! You might like to visit my blog to discover another one!
email image
9 messages