London (change)
Today 27°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
07/06/2007 at 01:18
A multi pronged attack is my obsessive compulsive solution. Beer traps, midnight forays with a head torch, juiced orange halves and plastic overnight homes work. I also find a visit to my local coffee bar to top up on coffee grounds to sprinkle on and around the new plants is a worthwile trip. They don't seem to like the taste or granularity.

It's like dusting you just have to do it regularly. Good luck and enjoy your garden.

06/06/2008 at 17:49
Do slugs killed by nematodes present any danger to garden birds? What about those killed by metaldehyde?
07/06/2008 at 21:09
Slugs and snails are a nightmare, I'm out every night on slug n snail hunts tonight I've just got my husband to lift the massive pots of hostas onto the patio table because they started munching on them 3 nights ago. This week I gave the coffee grind's in the watering can ago no good if it rains on a night. Last week I put coffee grinds around the plants mixed with all the other things I've tried this year, I'm sure they're laughing at us, anyway I've set a trap lots of tastey hosta leaves on the ground were my hosta pots normaly are must go 9.35pm thats the time they start coming out here.
08/06/2008 at 16:49
I am bemoaning the swarm of glimmering greeny/black beetles (about the size of a ladybird) which have taken a liking to my large Rosemary bush - my neighbour is bemoaning the same thing. What are they - help please to identify them, and any advice on evicting them would be good. Thanks
09/06/2008 at 10:06
I cannot believe the number of slugs and snails in my garden this year! It is the first year I have had the time to grow plants from seed and have been really pleased with my success - until I put then in the garden. Then I think every slug and snail from miles around makes a beeline for my little plot! Slug killer only seems to attract even more. On wet days they even climb up my doors and I have a real phobia about slugs - I cannot stand them - and certainly can't touch them as it makes me feel physically sick! I feed the birds to attract them to my garden but do they repay me by eating these pests? No they do not. I'm off on holiday next week but intend to try nemotodes on my return - if there's any plants left.
09/06/2008 at 19:44
Slugs & snails have been very busy reproducing this year and everyone seems to be plagued by the pesky pests! I've just planted out a few home grown bits and most things have been nibbled. My runner beans have had to be scrapped as all I had left were leafless stalks and sticky snail trails everywhere! I've found a great product which is safe and chemical free. (We have 3 cats so pelletts are a no-no). I've found copper tape from my local hardware store. It's only £3.99 for 4 metres, it gives the slug/snail a mild electric buzz and deters them from venturing over it to the plants. Just stick it in a circle around pots, I made circles by taping it to a cardboard tube and placed at the bottom of the newly planted sunflowers. So far, so good, no damage.
10/06/2008 at 14:32
Well they didn't munch on the hosta leaves the other night that I left for them but they had a go at one of my large hostas I left on the floor lasr night, so now the whole of the house smells of garlic, which I'm boiling up at this very moment to try tonight.Two nights ago there were more slugs and snails out than I've seen this year so far, all are now in the green bin. I couldn't believe one large snail, it was climbing the wall up to a freshly hung hanging basket,do they see them or smell them ? I'm amazed there had been nothing hanging there since last year but within a few hours it was getting it's first visit.The lupins are having it really hard again this year, some haven't a whole leaf left on them I'm going to try the garlic on them they're in pots with organic slug stop around them at the moment, two nights ago some of their leaves were weighed down with slugs and snail on the same leaves.I wonder if they call for one and other on their way round? anyway happy slug hunting
10/06/2008 at 17:16
if nemotodes kill slugs what kills snails?
10/06/2008 at 23:01
My polytunnels were a holiday camp for slugs and snails. They thought they were their personal fast food restaurant! I was afraid to use slug pellets, as I have 4 dogs who regularly play in the polytunnels, and several wild birds, pecking about for my huge spiders. Seemingly from nowhere I now have quite a large population of the most enormous frogs and toads. We have no ponds in the vicinity, so Where can they have come from? Anyhow, I am now seeing a very definite reduction in the slug population, It's a pity the snails are too big for the frogs to tackle. Do they eat snails?
11/06/2008 at 08:55
I have a slug and snail infestation. I have applied nematodes to my garden but do not think it has worked. I have beds as well as a vegetable plot and its just being annihilated. The pots also, they have eaten my dahlias, marigolds, lavender everything. Please help me?
11/06/2008 at 11:03
Dear Peonygreen, Perhaps you have Rosemary Beetle - there is an article on this site in the section "Problem solving, shrubs & climbers". I'm afraid the only solution offered is to pick off the adult beetles and larvae by hand and destroy.
11/06/2008 at 20:21
Ooh, that's a good idea, I haven't thought of sticking copper tape around cardboard tubes - must give that a try myself, thanks PurpleSarah! :-) Mind you, I think it's too late for my poor marigolds which are, like your runner beans, pretty much just leafless stalks now :-( Ah well, we live and learn, eh?
12/06/2008 at 13:58
I have had most of the rhubarb leaves eaten to the ribs and I thought that they were poisonous. However it is near the compost bin and yesterday I checked the compost as I intended to move the bin and contents and was horrified to find the bin full of ants and ant eggs at least I think they are the eggs of the ants. Will these be the culprits and can I do the moving or what do I do? Someone please help at 74 this will not be a pleasent or easy job.
16/06/2008 at 00:46
I have had most of the rhubarb leaves eaten to the ribs and I thought that they were poisonous. However it is near the compost bin and yesterday I checked the compost as I intended to move the bin and contents and was horrified to find the bin full of ants and ant eggs at least I think they are the eggs of the ants. Will these be the culprits and can I do the moving or what do I do? Someone please help at 74 this will not be a pleasant or easy job.
17/06/2008 at 23:15
Have seen lots of huge snails,no slugs but dont seem to have a lot of damage. Garden looks very healthy I have very small pond in the garden and lots of trees around. So lots of natural prediters. I havent used any control the last three years gave up as it didnt seem to make any difference. Does this mean we should leave nature to get on with it. This is the first year Ive seen the pests dissapear as soon as I see them. If a plant is attacked I leave it there and the rest is left alone. Is anyone else trying this method
18/06/2008 at 16:37
I am a retired engineer/inventor and gardener, i hate slugs and snails, so i have invented a system of protecting crops and plants that is 100% guaranteed to kill these pests. its non chemical and safe, i just need to show the system to a popular tv gardener,maybe Pippa, who perhaps may endorse it.
18/06/2008 at 20:20
Garlic works done at super strength, after pricking a bulb all over and boiling it for a good half hour drain off, poor all liquid into a 1 litre hand spray, top up to one litre with cold water and spray onto hostas,lupins ect let dry and spray again don't forget the pot.Squash the boild bulb and cover in water again and boil again by now the house will be stinking so make a cuppa and go out side and start spraying, boil as long as you can stand it, cool and keep in a covered tub to use in your watering can as strong as you like. After doing this I went out on the usual snail and slug hunt that night to find a very large snail walking past the hostas, thats a first. Spraying under the leaves and useing strong soloution helps it to stay on when it rains, since useing galic Iv'e had no more damage to the hostas and new shoots on the lupins are looking good. I'm still going to get some copper tape when I locate some for young seedlings and for when I'm on holidays, I must be looking in the wrong places.
21/06/2008 at 10:56
slugs are attracted to beer traps because they love yeast.a better solution is to put 2 cups of lukewarm water into a container add a packet of dried yeast, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 of sugar.give it a good mix.pour this into two jars which are buried up to their necks about 2 meters apart near your favorite plants.slugs can smell this from at least 2 meters away.empty jars and add a new mix every 3 days.Try it, you won't destroy the whole slug population in your garden but it might help keep it down.p.s.there are are other ways to keep the slug population down,such as soil condition.
15/07/2008 at 20:59
Can anyone help us to identify this slug: white/creamy in colour, approx 1/2 and inch to an inch long and have come in the masses out of the blue. we have drawn a complete blank nobody has ever heard of them before let alone seen them. Please help
17/07/2008 at 13:57
I had often wondered how snails get into inaccessible places. One day, in my greenhouse, I watched as a snail crawled up the roof. It quite deliberately let go, to fall about 2 feet, accurately onto a tray of seedlings. Needless to say, I now use slug pellets on my seedlings.
1 to 20 of 29 messages