Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Slugs

I put out saucers with bran dot them around the garden then at night rubber gloves on and go collecting they head towards the bran and its much easier to pick them up - then they go down the drain!!

• Hedgehogs and birds are also predators of slugs (I suppose the revolting things are useful for something!) I am torn between wanting to kill a slug as soon as I see it, and wanting the birds and hedgehogs to have it for their dinner. There's never a hungry hedgehog around when you want one!
  • ossoosso Posts: 5
    i collect my slugs and snails and feed them to my chickens
  • I heard that growing french marigolds keeps slugs away so I gave it a go last summer and hey it worked !!! going too use it in my greenhouse again this year and they look pretty too slugs don't like the smell !!!
  • I have tried many ways to control slugs and snails. Used coffee grounds is the most successful. Just rinse out your coffee pot around the plant you want saved leaving the grounds close to the base.
  • I only use organic slug pellets , but have seen the jackdaws down in the veg beds hoovering them up I thought they were supposed to be distateful to birds! Does anyone know if it's likely to be harmful to them?
  • Used coffee grounds are supposed to work haven't tried them myself
  • Found slugs on my greenhouse marigolds. Obviously mine dont have a great sense of smell. Waiting for nematodes to arrive before i plant anything else out.
  • tonkatonka Posts: 1
    If i use nema slug will it hurt my chickens if they eat a slug that has made it into the chicken run before they die? I encourage wild life to do as good a job as possible but i do have a lot of slugs, i think they hide in both neighbours gardens which are full of places for slugs to hide and just come in mine on a night to eat.
  • I use scissors!
  • are slugs attracted to sweet things ? i put out a concoction of cooked rice which had milk on and it was raining, the slugs covered it !