London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
7 messages
20/01/2014 at 17:42
Hello Adam I made the mistake of planting a cedar in my garden(as posted on your gardeners world facebook site),after just 9 years it had grown to big for the garden,now I have cut it down and about to look for a replacement,Oldchippy.
21/01/2014 at 17:56
Thinking of adding a Prunus Amanogawa have a small space that could fit they have wonderful blossom in spring
21/01/2014 at 18:36
I like Amelanchier alnifolia 'Obelisk' or Liquidamber styraciflua Slender Silhouette' - great trees that don't take much space ;-)
24/01/2014 at 15:35
Hi oldchippy. Hope you find a good replacement. Cedar does look lovely when it's small ... but it grows!
24/01/2014 at 15:35
Hi James. Yes 'Amanogawa' is a lovelyy columnar flowering cherry. I used to have one in the front garden of previous house. However, I do think some other small trees provide colour and interest over more seasons than cherries. Personally I think better options are rowans (flowers,berries and autumn foliage colour) and crab apples.
10/02/2014 at 15:55
Got a bit carried away with my love of Acers, planted Acer Negunda 20 years ago ago, it's now very beautiful but huge and blocking light from my top border, should I pollard it? Any suggestions.
10/02/2014 at 17:58

Amelanchier and Prunus Amanogawa get my vote for small gardens. Both do not steal light or get big.

Acer negunda is a large fast growing tree, certainly not a small garden tree. Pollarding is extreme pruning and I rarely see it done successfully as it tends to ruin the natural look of trees. Have you tried to thin the crown or lift the crown or even a general prune?

email image
7 messages