Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Snowdrop days

Hackthorn Estate in Lincoln are having one on Sunday.

http://www.hackthorn-estate.co.uk/13755.html

• When does gardeners world return to for a new series, i'm missing it so bad
  • Don't you just love the site of all these beautiful early flowers popping up all over the place, whilst it's still freezing your socks off.
  • I love this time of year as well, although I'm too much of a wuss to go out if it's too cold or rainy! Given some winter sun, enough to recurve the petals of the crocuses and I'm in heaven. :)
  • A. Arnott is our favourite here too!!! We got some from a friend, who has since died, but the snowdrops live on, and we think of our friend every year when they come out.
  • I was given one bulb of G. magnum by a friend at our Alpine garden Society meeting last night and I bought a crocus named "Miss Vein" which is a beautiful white one. Our Alpine garden at the back of the hall where we meet is part of a community garden shared by ten clubs and has wall lights, so , at seven thirty last evening we were treated to the sight of our hellebores, snowdrops, cyclamens, crocuses and irises as well as the winter violas shining in the dark. Magic! I agree, Kate, we can appreciate our gardens more in the winter. Everything seems fresher and more precious.
  • Gardeners World is back on our screens sometime in March Carl. Not sure of the date.
  • I believe GW is back on !!th March.

It's so true, we expect so much in the summer and maybe some plants are "lost" to us but in the winter every single brave little plant that dares to bare itself through the cold soil is something so welcome and cheerful.
  • oops, I meant 11th of course!
  • VisitScotland have an annual Snowdrop Festival. We will hopefully be visiting the Walled Garden at Colzium House in Kilsyth either this weekend or next. I spoke to one of the gardeners there a few weeks back and he suggested mid to late Feb would be the ideal time to visit. It's a lovely place to visit and recommend it to anyone in the area, at any time of the year.
  • Jane50Jane50 Posts: 2
    out of date.......!