London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
10 messages
25/03/2010 at 14:39
What a great idea, Kate, I must suggest it at the next meeting of the village football team, eleven players plus reserves, a couple of trays each and we will have enough to repair the goal mouth in no time. Good luck with the sunbathing!
25/03/2010 at 14:44
It will be a long time before I can sunbathe on it at this rate, but thanks! I think I got the idea from Toby Buckland actually, so can't take the credit. Good luck with repairing the goal mouth! Kate
26/03/2010 at 08:21
Think this a great idea will try it next year just got out lawn in great condition but have a small one would like to try and encourage
26/03/2010 at 11:59
I saw a lawn being laid blade by blade by a huge team of gardeners some twenty years ago in Mombasa - different species of grass no doubt. A cats cradle of string over newly sown seed works wonders against birds and mice!
26/03/2010 at 15:37
What a great idea Kate! raising and growing the delicate wild flowers until they are strong enough to resist the competition from the grasses and other weeds in the garden. Think I will sow a kitchen windowbox for the lovely seeds to look at! Kate, are you related to Julia Bradbury? Thanks for the tips!
26/03/2010 at 22:35
You be proud of your grass seedlings! Those planting chilies and tomatoes are dealing with leggy, straggly seedlings about now. Yours are fab...and will be tread-on-able! Sheila Averbuch -- Stopwatch Gardener
01/04/2010 at 12:29
Thanks for all your kind comments. The lawn is coming on well. And no guyl01, I'm not related to Julia, sadly. Kate
07/04/2010 at 11:51
This is my first year of gardening EVER - I suddenly got bitten on retirement. My first task (well, second if you count the winter logpile) a very small lawn JUST as you describe it, wildflowers etc etc etc. A neighbour's dog took my winter log pile - one by one...so I will test your tip and am sure the result will be amazing. Thank you.
14/04/2010 at 16:12
Update: I'm afraid we caved in and bought some turf. It looks brilliant though and has made a massive difference to the garden. I'll be incorporating lots of wildflowers and 'pretty weeds' though as it's a bit sterile at the moment. Gardenlog - poor you having your wood pile taken log by log! Kate
28/11/2011 at 18:40
There is 1 sure thing about gardening...it can be frustrating. When all is going well FANTASTIC when it's not, there is not a thing you can do about it but just to start again. The 1 thought that you should keep in your mind is that, despite all those frustrations, one day you will see your 'pretty weeds' in all their glory, the bees will appear and you WILL be able to sunbathe...tho don't forget the sunscreen :)
email image
10 messages