London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
17 messages
26/02/2010 at 10:28
Too cold to even contemplate seeds! Monty's video on planting courgettes is all well and good but Lancashire is still in deepest winter - roll on some sunshine.
26/02/2010 at 11:54
Can anyone help - I have just planted onion seeds in a heated propogater and can find no guidance on when to take the plastic top off. Do you take the top off as soon as the seed has germinated and starts to show signs of growth or do you leave the top on until the seeds have grown 2-3 inches or so. I have never done this before and confess to being completely befuddled.
26/02/2010 at 12:53
That's very funny and so so true. I've gone one better, it's the window ledge for me, I like to watch my seeds grow from the warmth of the kitchen. Enjoy!
26/02/2010 at 15:16
Can anyone please help and tell me how to prune blueberry bushes. I haven't found any info anywhere. Thanks.
26/02/2010 at 16:57
Like Pippa I am cheering myself up by sowing seeds in the greenhouse, warmest place to be. I've sown onion seeds, aubergines, bacopa, tomatoes and dahlias all in propagator. Dahlias already sprouting but I usually leave onions until they are aroung 3/4 inches. Don't know if that is correct but it works for me Lesley, then put out into the greenhouse. 2 degrees here today in freezing Scotland.
27/02/2010 at 10:31
I would be a nice addition, to Pippas article on sowing seeds, to show what can go wrong, what things look like and importantly how to corrct them
01/03/2010 at 16:15
The winter has gone on too long. By the time it is warm enough to plant sunflowers, they won't have time to grow erectly and fully.
02/03/2010 at 19:55
I have grown all of the ingredients for ratatouille for several years - except that I bought the olive oil and salt and pepper. The last couple of summers have really been a challenge. The tomatoes have got blight and the peppers and aubergines didn't ripen - even in containers on the terrace. And even the onions and garlic got some kind of white rot last year, so didn't store well at all. At least the courgettes were reasonably successful. Never mind. I will persevere. To produce a ratatouille - so fresh and from your own grown produce is worth it all. And don't forget the herbs too - bay and thyme or oregano/marjoram and basil Who knows what this summer will bring - I'll still be growing my own ratatouille.
05/03/2010 at 16:20
carruthers you do not prune blue berry bushes except dead wood or diseased wood.
05/03/2010 at 16:22
Lesley you don't use d head propgated for onions. as for the dome you take off after seed germinate to prevent damp off.
06/03/2010 at 13:15
Can I cut back the frost affected bottom leaves of my two large phormiums without harming them.
02/05/2010 at 08:35
can anyone give me any information on how to grow hearbs why is there no information at all
04/05/2010 at 10:36
Ynot, The last couple of years have been awful for blight, sadly I find that a greenhouse is the only pretty well fool-proof way to avoid it! With your onions or garlic, make sure that you avoid growing these crops on the same spot as if you do have white rot, once in the soil it lurks in wait for the next suitable host!
08/06/2010 at 20:08
Hi, i'm new on here. I have a question on blueberry bushes. I recently bought a blueberry bush. It started growing nice green leaves and has now got several flowers appearing. However, the leaves have started wilting,going brown and falling off. The flowers are still blooming. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
12/06/2010 at 10:56
how do i rune a aubergine plant
20/06/2010 at 20:29
I have grown tomato plants from see and now planted them into black tubs which are sat on manure in my greenhouse just as I did last year and had a great crop. However this year they haven't grown any taller, the leaves are curling up and some are brown around the edges. I haven't over or under watered them what can I do?
28/11/2011 at 18:40
I agree it would be nice to see what the seedlings are supposed to look like mine just end up long & limp, not enough light I assume...
email image
17 messages