London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
06/05/2008 at 19:48
Can you please tell me this - i know this is probably a stupid question - i know its a good idea to cover carrots with either a plastic run or use fine garden mesh. I though you were not supposed to then disturb these physical barriers or the carrot fly would detect it asap. How though do you water the carrots that are beneath the barrier. Is it just a case of simply taking it off really quickly watering and then just replacing it - or am i missing something v obvious??
07/05/2008 at 14:51
Hi I'm new to gardening, but I'm going to have a go at growing my own veg. My question is I want to give the soil a boost what should I dig with it, to give it & the veg I want to grow a kick start?
07/05/2008 at 18:38
Hi Jean, you can improve your soil for growing vegetables by adding compost and well-rotted manure to it every year. For a quick fix for this year, try adding comfrey pellets to each planting hole before you pop your vegetable plants in. You can also add an organic fertiliser, such as seaweed, to your watering can to water the plants with, which will improve the plants' uptake of nutrients without damaging the soil's structure. Good luck, Kate.
07/05/2008 at 22:04
I planted my peas nearly three weeks ago and there is still no sign of anything coming through, should I start again with a new set?
10/05/2008 at 08:28
I built my raised beds in Feb' and had cabbage, runners and broad beans in them by March. I also have small pumpkin, courgette and even melon plants out and doing great. I constantly feel as if I'm behind but every time I read the blogs I feel good as it seams I'm ahead. WooHooo!
10/05/2008 at 15:44
I'm doing my Beaver Scout Bronze Award and wanted to plant my own vegetable garden. The seeds are growing but keep falling over. They look really skinny and weedy. Can you help me please. They are in plug pots at the moment. Thank you
13/05/2008 at 14:42
I had a bad problem last year with snails too, which cost me a lot of money in lost seedlings, this year I bought all my seeds from the £1 shop, I thought this will be fine until I get more experienced.

I got 6 lots of veggies in one packet great value for money if they seed I thought, well so far all are looking terrific, sturdy, lovely colour, strong stems and good foliage.

Is this a one off as I have always read buy good quality seeds, or is cheap not necessarily bad:) or maybe I have been lucky? Thank you. Kind regards Linda Irvine.

13/05/2008 at 18:55
I have been trying to find the seeds of Artemisia apiacea Hance (Artemisia caruifolia) and have been unsuccessful in locating viable seed which is essential for my study. Can you help?

It is native to China, but also grows in Japan, Korea and Vietnam. It is sometimes confused with Artemisia annua L and this can present problems. Regards, Rupi Vij

13/05/2008 at 22:41
Hi really exited, my daughter Jessica and I have just been given an allotment. It needs a lot of work, no problem. But is almost mid may. What can we plant now, veg/salad to get good results. Hope you can help. Cheers Alex. P.S we know very little
14/05/2008 at 13:15
Hi Alex, you can plant a lot of crops right now, and it's the perfect month to sow seeds directly in the ground. I don't know how much work your plot needs, but if it's covered in weeds, dig over a small patch at a time, removing all weeds and traces of weed roots. It's a bit late for certain crops, like potatoes and tomatoes (although there's never any harm in trying), but you should certainly be able to sow runner and French beans, peas, beetroot, lettuces and salad leaves, winter cabbages, Brussels sprouts and courgettes directly into the ground now. Start off with easy crops, like courgettes, peas and beans, then when you're more confident, try branching out and growing your favourite veg. Good luck! Kate
15/05/2008 at 16:12
We have taken on an allotment this year and I am uncertain of how many of each plant to try for. For example how many courgette plants does a family of 5 (3 little children) need? We don't eat them every day! I've planted loads in pots and am thinking perhaps the children should sell some to friends. HELP!!
15/05/2008 at 16:33
Hi there, this year I have encountered 2 problems in my veg patch :

1 - I sowed my carrots, beetroot and parsnip directly into the ground back in early April. They have just started to come up and with them an absolute plethora of horsetail weeds, not just in between my rows but right through them. I am worried the weeds will choke and stagnate my veg seeds ! Should I clear the patch and start again ? Is there still time to do this in mid may ?

2 - I planted my asparagus crowns back in mid april and they have shot up and have got really tall and stringy looking ! I have earthed them up but they look like they are going to flower ! Is this normal ? Is it true that I dont harvest until next year ?

Kind Regards, David

16/05/2008 at 09:35
We have taken on an allotment this year and I am uncertain of how many of each plant to try for. For example how many courgette plants does a family of 5 (3 little children)need? We don't eat them every day! I've planted loads in pots and am thinking perhaps the children should sell some to friends. HELP!!
24/05/2008 at 21:14
hi, i am having trouble with my courgettes this year, i've had the usual battle with slugs and snails but i have now found what looks like maggots on two of the plants. Does anyone know what they are and how can i deal with them as they are killing my plants which are otherwise doing fine with lots of flowers and courgettes growing
07/06/2008 at 19:00
When is the best time to take lavender cuttings?
17/08/2008 at 15:31
HELP- Ive grown 40 butternut squash plants from a squash we had for dinner(!)afew weeks ago. The plants are all about 1ft to 18 inches tall and starting to bud. Will they produce fruit or do I need to introduce a plant from another source to pollinate them.
23/11/2008 at 17:16
Does anyone know if adding seaweed granules to soil changes the soils pH. I have it around 7pH at the moment for my veg patch by using a mix of homemade compost and mushroom compost. I heard it helps keeps slugs at bay - I would try beer but traps but I had to keep rescuing my father : D
10/07/2009 at 20:47
My children and I have planted veg for the 1st time this year but it looks like some of our carrots are going to flower can you tell me what this means.
11/05/2010 at 09:23
I recently saw an article about turning horsetail into a natural plant food/fertiliser - I can't remember where I saw it and can't remember the recipe. Can you help?
30/06/2010 at 10:25
Hi, I'm also a first time gardener and i want to ask you if I can sow cucumber seeds now. I know it's late. And how much will it take for a cucumber plant to start producing fruits ?
1 to 20 of 24 messages