London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
41 to 48 of 48 messages
03/08/2008 at 17:04
Over the last two days i have noticed a large amount of sparrows in mine and and my neighbours garden. I think there must have been at least 50 on the fence when i last looked.

Is this usual? im not really familiar with british wildlife as i have lived in an apartment for so long until i brought a house this year with a garden. I know last year we had a major infestation of lady birds and i was wondering is this the same thing?

05/08/2008 at 11:57
I've managed to build up a host of 30 Sparrows in my garden this year. And it's been the same amount over the last three years. They disappear over the winter,but come back en mass around about the end of February.
06/08/2008 at 21:54
Help. I have recently purchased 3 bird feeders for my garden, and within hours I had 3 goldfinches fighting over the nyjer and sunflower seed. I also have 2 sparrows foraging for the fallen seed and a blackbird that visit regularly for the berries on my amelanchier. The problem I have is that the seed is germinating at an alarming rate in my borders and I am picking out hundreds of seedlings. Does anyone else have this problem, if you do could you give me some advice? Many thanks Julia
08/10/2008 at 10:53
My band of squabbling, joyful house sparrows particularly love the fat balls I hang on a standard eucalyliptus tree outside my bedroom window (I live in a bungalow!)They will see off the competing 'tits' who love the black sunflower seeds I put in the nearby feeder. I had hoped to catch sight of some tree sparrows - with grey tops to their heads - no luck at all as yet!
17/11/2008 at 17:28
please can someone advise me i clean out nestboxes for the tit family but this year had a wren in a rope nestbox do i clean it out or leave all the nest materal in it
12/05/2009 at 15:01
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO STOP SPARROWS STEALING MOSS FROM MY HANGING BASKETS THEY HAVE RUINED TWO AND LEFT HOLES IN THEM MANY THANKS
28/11/2011 at 18:36
ive only recently took up gardening but already i have noticed an increase in the bird population in my garden, before i transformed my garden from a jungle to what i call my tranquil place there were hardly anybirds at all now there are sparrows,blackbirds,thrushes,bluetits,starlings,doves i even caught the glimps of a wren a bird i havent seen since i was a young boy i cant imagine why i didnt take to gardening before i just love it. ps fantastic site learning new things everyday thank you.
15/02/2012 at 19:00
my problem is that I live in a semi detached house. My walls face south, north and east [ and very windy east too !} where should I put my sparrow nest [ 3 meter up]
email image
41 to 48 of 48 messages