London (change)
Mon 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
5 messages
04/07/2013 at 11:14
I saw my first Stag beetle for many years last month but I haven't seen any Bats yet,Our local park has lots of fallen trees and many standing dead trees with holes for nest and insects,with bracket fungus growing on then.
04/07/2013 at 11:39
Hi o,c, each night at around ten we get about 4 bats come into our small garden they do a red arrows show for us ,even coming right up close ,it looks like they are catching flying insects,they are about the size of a mouse and can suddenly from great speed almost stop to catch something just amazing to watch then they are off
iv no idea where they live but we are very near to a cemetery could be there anyway
avagooden Alan
05/07/2013 at 11:12
I am from NZ and have yet to see any. I would LOVE to have them in our garden and have set up all sorts of weedy/log areas in the hope of attracting them.

My boys would be thrilled to see a beetle like that in our garden and I would feel proud that my garden had what they wanted they they would have come there.
Luckily I am not the manicured lawn, everything looking like a show garden - most insects probably dont appreciate that much!
10/07/2013 at 09:13
How interesting that you're focusing on London. My family have recently moved to Sunbury and on two separate visits I have spotted a stag beetle, crawling cross the pavement. The first time I have seen one for decades. My family live opposite a small piece of neglected woodland, prime stag beetle country! I picked them up and carefully moved them across the road to the woodland so they weren't stepped on. I hope that was OK.
14/07/2013 at 12:27
my neighbour came for coffee today & mentioned that last night 14th july whilst in a friends garden they were bomb barded by what she calls bombers...ofcourse they were stag beetles..this is in chesterton cambridge...
email image
5 messages