London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
9 messages
12/11/2008 at 15:42
Not a flock or swarm but murmeration!
12/11/2008 at 16:43
Yes, 'murmeration' ..... I know what you mean, and much more subtle than twiteration. I wonder what others think?
12/11/2008 at 22:23
you put bred out for the small birds you put seed on the bird table you pay pounds for fat balls you get bird feeders with nuts and seeds you say the gray squirall is bad what about the starling they dont give any other bird a chance not one they gust cume down eat every thing in the bird table and not give another bird a chance
15/11/2008 at 15:59
I have had one 'Hayward' and one 'Tomouri' Kiwi growing against my South-facing garage wall for 20 years or so. I never feed or water them and pruning consists of severe cutting back all summer just to keep the rank growth under control. Two years ago I had a superb crop of fruit, however, this year has topped that. I have just finished harvesting and boxing the fruits from the single 'Hayward' and have crop with 780 fruits; is this a record for one vine? I live in sunny Clacton, Essex.
16/11/2008 at 13:43
Hedges in Fences out!!!!
17/11/2008 at 13:16
Reply to Amiguru - What a fabulous crop of kiwi fruits. I have never personally come across anyone who has grown such a large crop in the UK ... unless anyone knows differently! Clearly the vines are now mature, and probably quite a size.
15/07/2009 at 17:02
We have a mob of starlings visit our garden every day, they seem to know when my husband has replenished the fat ball tray. They are gone in a few minutes, the poor bluetits & coaltits don't stand a chance so he tries to frighten them away by rushing down the garden, clapping his hands....goodness knows what the neighbours think, maybe a Morris dancer has moved in next door.
18/06/2011 at 10:13
hello i get mobs of starlings with babys and they are all catching worms but then blackbirds come along and challenge them but the starlings always win right now in my garden there is a swarn of about 10 to 25 starlings in my garden amazing
28/11/2011 at 18:37
Ants are very nutritious, apparently. Let a good proportion of these hedges to be Yew (Taxus baccata), which requires less cutting, in fact the cuttings can be dried and processed for medicine against breast cancer. Small birds benefit from yew for protection and providing insects for food.
email image
9 messages