Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Sunflowers

My sunflower got black spots due to weevil, shall i pull it out of the pot shake all the soil off and re-pot it to save it?

• The squirrels managed to eat all my sunflower heads last year apart from one which I cut and put in a vase. I discovered they preferred the heads of the larger varieties.

This year I'm growing Little Dorrit and watering them with dilute garlic to keep the slugs/snails off. I hope this works with the squirrels as well.

• Can you keep sunflowers indoors, by the window?
    I turn them everyday. Been growing them for about 1.5 months now. They also seem to go to sleep every night wilting surprisingly a lot, but come morning, they are perky again. No water added. Is this typical behaviour?
  • Can someone help me I have a Yucca I think its a recurvafolia, it grew to big for pots so about four years ago I put it in the ground its obviously flourished, this year it produced a huge red spike which turned into lovely cream coloured flowers it ended up about 7feet high.

Unfortunately the flowers are now dying off, the problem is when all the flowers have died do I have to cut the spike off or do I leave it to fade naturally I think I could have difficulty cutting it its about 5 inches round. Really need help don't want to kill my plant by doing or not doing the right thing.

• My sunflower doesnt have a flower. can you tell me why
  • My sunflower has 13 heads... Is this normal to have so many?
  • I have 11 sunflowers in my garden, average height around 7' - 8' and not one has shown any sign of flowering, can anyone tell me why?
  • Be patient, Proctor, as flowers should develop once stems reach their full height. You are clearly growing a tall variety, and these take longer coming into flower than dwarf varieties that can flower within 2-3 months of sowing.

And Laura, you're probably growing one of the many multi-headed varieties. Some sunflowers just form a single flower at the top of each stem, but multi-headed varieties produce branched stems where each branch carries a flower (or two). These tend to be shorter but bushier plants, and are great for border displays.

• my question is simple do what do i do with my sunflowers at the end of the summer, cut them down or let them wither and rot
  • Reply to mojo: your sunflowers will die at the end of the season, as they're only an annual flower. However, some varieties do set seed, so leave the flower heads to form seeds, and use these to feed the birds.
  • i never had any peppers from my pepper plants this year. i have grown them indoors on a warm windowsill. the plants still look really healthy, should i keep the plants in the hope of eventually getting some peppers, later this year or early next. ( i am quite new to gardening as you can tell)