London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
23/07/2012 at 18:45
I love the swifts as well Kate. I look for them every year in May and I so look forward to hearing first one screeching high in the sky, they always seem to arrive here in Bournemouth in the beginning of May and I always make a note in my diary and when they leave in August.
    25/07/2012 at 14:03
They've had such a bad year, donutmrs. I really hope next year is better for them.

Kate
25/07/2012 at 20:46
I have done the swift count Kate, counted 40 swooping across the sky. They are just beautiful.
26/07/2012 at 12:53
Kate I know exactly what you mean about swifts, I love hearing them have a good old screech.

I hear them a lot so will do a count
26/07/2012 at 16:50

Today they have been very active and noisy around our house where we have some nesting.

26/07/2012 at 19:25

There is a scream of swifts around my area, which appear when the sun begins setting.  I counted about 25 last night (well, 20-30;  It's not exactly an easy task considering the way they fly - every one of them fancying themselves as a 'top gun'!)  

I might have a go at videoing them tonight.

27/07/2012 at 17:26

They're disappearing for the year around here in central Italy. On the early side, but they left early last year, too. Up till a couple of days ago you felt like you were taking your life in your hands out walking very early in the morning. They were swooping down almost to head height in some of the smaller piazzas.

29/07/2012 at 12:41

I haven't seen any Swift's flying here in Ewell since Friday,They may have gone already,They didn't arrive until May this year, Is this the end of summer, We have just had a thunder strom with marble size hale stones.

30/07/2012 at 23:58
Swallows have been my passion this year and I have spent several hours trying to photograph them but they are too fast!!

We have House Martins nesting next door and I often sit in the garden and just become mesmerised by their acrobatics like the swifts!

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/
02/08/2012 at 19:40
our hearts have lifted too at the sight of swifts over our house, to us they mean the coming of summer, balmy evenings and the sipping of a glass of wine on the patio. Later, at dusk, bats take over the whirling and swooping over the trees, quieter but just as lively!
07/08/2012 at 19:18
we love swifts too, but we have a neighbour who blasts their beautiful nests off his house with a electric jet wash, he waits u til they are fully built then does this awful thing, how cruel can you be!!
07/08/2012 at 19:38

If this is in the UK then what he's doing is illegal - see here http://www.naturenet.net/law/birds.html 

his actions should be reported to the police.

Most Police Authorities have a Wildlife Crime Liaison Officer or even a whole squad or similar.  

The mud nests under the eaves of houses will belong to house martins, not swifts which are more likely to nest under the roof tiles, but it is illegal to destroy martin or any other nests.

07/08/2012 at 19:45

I agee,.very cruel & nasty person

I think should report him to what ever authority that deals with it. If you don't get any joy with the police ( although make sure you make a complant), try the National Trust and look on the link that was posted.

Thanks to Dovefromabove that explains why my workplace doesn't ever wash away house martins nests on their beloved building

08/08/2012 at 14:46

Some years ago I was working for a local authority who owned a house near their primary building. In preparation for painting the walls they removed about a dozen martins' nests from under the eaves.  They had been there for at least seven years.  Nothing was done. I know I should have compained but the poor birds had already lost their nests and they didn't make any effort ro replace them.  I was too cowardly to make trouble with my employers and very ashamed now!!!

08/08/2012 at 18:38

I checked the skies today and I think the Swifts have gone home for another year, its sad when they leave. Yesterday while I was out I did see lots and lots of Swallows and what a site they were swooping around and so close to our heads. Denise, what a nasty neighbour you have, I would report him aswell, the swifts have such a hard time anyway without that numpty destroying their nest. Let us know what happens.

08/08/2012 at 20:41

Yes, mine have gone too.  I saw a couple of them at the weekend but nothing since.  It's always sad when they disappear.  I love it when they arrive in May like heralds of the summer.

08/08/2012 at 22:15

Hello everyone, I haven't heard them for a couple of weeks, but went out tonight and there they were. I too thought that they had gone, I have this feeling that they are on their way.

gardeninggenes- There is a lot more legislation these days and it's a lot easier to find out about  this now and raise objections (anoymously}  if needed.

My employer, I'm sure doesn't really care about the House Martins but is aware of it's green credentials and  it's legal requirments.

17/08/2012 at 18:05

i have spoken to my neighbour and told him its illegal to destroy nests....he said "its my property and therefore i can do what i like" i wouldnt mind but he has a huge avery in his garden!!!! by the way he has a weaver bird which was in the avery for months making beautiful nests which looked like delicate knitted pots, he has now put him in a cage because he was chasing the finches, this bird is now alone and so sad!! argh im so angry with him, he just dont care!!!!!

17/08/2012 at 18:13
denise butcher wrote (see)

i have spoken to my neighbour and told him its illegal to destroy nests....he said "its my property and therefore i can do what i like" i wouldnt mind but he has a huge avery in his garden!!!! by the way he has a weaver bird which was in the avery for months making beautiful nests which looked like delicate knitted pots, he has now put him in a cage because he was chasing the finches, this bird is now alone and so sad!! argh im so angry with him, he just dont care!!!!!

So do you now intend to follow this through and make a complaint?

18/08/2012 at 03:49
Denise you need to complain to the council. This guy sounds nuts, he will prob turn his attention to something else that annoys him next
1 to 20 of 23 messages